This Page

has been moved to new address

Caramel Layer Bars

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts: Caramel Layer Bars

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Caramel Layer Bars



Jana this is for you!  These caramel brownies are one of my favorites.  My mom made them when I was growing up, and they are just gooey and delicious.  We didn’t get them often, because my Dad preferred a plain chocolate brownie, but he is just weird!  It happens to be one of the very few chocolate desserts my husband actually likes (I know he is weird too).  So when I was trying to come up with what to make for his business dinner, and he suggested these, I was thrilled.  There was going to be leftovers!!  
 
The base is a box cake mix, and you just have to be ok with that.  It makes it easy, and oh so yummy! I am sure you could use a regular brownie recipe, and just prep in the same way, but I have never tried it.  Why mess with success, right? These would make for a perfect Memorial Day weekend dessert!

Caramel Layer Bars
 
14 oz caramels
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 box German Chocolate Cake Mix
¾ cup melted butter
1/3 cup evaporated milk
6 oz chocolate chips

Melt caramel and 2/3 cup evaporated milk – cool slightly


Combine Cake mix, ¾ cup butter, and 1/3 cup milk.  Mix well.  Put half of mixture into a 13x9 pan.  Bake at 350 for 6 minutes.  


Sprinkle 6 oz of chocolate chips. 



Spread caramel mixture of the chocolate chips. 


Crumble the remaining dough over the caramel. 

Bake for 25 more minutes.


Allow to cool before cutting, if you can resist.  




16 Comments:

At May 26, 2011 at 11:46 AM , Anonymous Jana said...

MMMMmmmm ... now I can stop dreaming about these and start baking. YUM!! Thanks for sharing a family favorite. There's just nothing better than chocolate AND caramel.

 
At May 26, 2011 at 3:19 PM , Anonymous sheila @ Elements said...

That looks irresistible! All that gooey caramel is making my mouth water, and when it's combined with chocolate...well...it can't really get much better, can it. :)

 
At May 26, 2011 at 4:39 PM , Blogger The Three Little Piglets said...

Yes please. I'll have another!

 
At May 26, 2011 at 5:04 PM , Blogger Steph said...

That caramel layer is calling my name!!

 
At May 26, 2011 at 6:14 PM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, yeah...these are a favorite of mine, too! YUM!

 
At May 26, 2011 at 8:33 PM , Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

They certainly look delicious and it really is hard to go wrong with the combination of chocolate and caramel. Count me in! Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

 
At May 26, 2011 at 10:19 PM , Anonymous BigFatBaker said...

These look delicious. I always wondered what the best way of going about making a carmel brownie would be. Thanks for the great recipe!

 
At May 27, 2011 at 10:29 AM , Blogger Delicious Dishings said...

These sound incredible. That caramel layer is amazing!

 
At May 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM , Blogger camie said...

I just bookmarked this recipe! Looks delicious!!

 
At May 27, 2011 at 4:34 PM , Blogger briarrose said...

Yum! Gooey and so wonderful. I adore caramel in brownies.

 
At May 27, 2011 at 6:55 PM , Anonymous Kneady Sweetie said...

My family has this exact same recipe and it is amazing! It has always been a family favorite!

 
At May 27, 2011 at 11:15 PM , Anonymous Anne said...

These look awesome! I think I could eat that whole bowl of melting caramel! Love these! : )

 
At May 28, 2011 at 10:37 AM , Blogger Erin said...

These look absolutely amazing!

 
At May 28, 2011 at 1:20 PM , Anonymous Kate@Diethood said...

YUMMO! These are incredible... how do you stop eating them?!

 
At May 28, 2011 at 7:23 PM , Blogger Erin said...

@Kate - send them to work with my husband!

 
At June 1, 2011 at 1:49 PM , Anonymous Tiffany said...

Two words... Yes, please!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home