This Page

has been moved to new address

Naan Bread

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts: Naan Bread

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Naan Bread



I love bread of all kinds, especially if it is freshly baked.  So when my husband suggested I make Naan bread to go with our Indian food, I was all over it.  I had never had Naan before, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  I had seen it on cooking shows, and it sounded good.  I had even seen it in the stores as well, but was skeptical about those.  So I found a recipe and went to it.  It was really easy as far as breads go.  And I thought it tasted great.  I had nothing to compare it to, to know if it tasted like it was supposed to, but I liked it.  Then when we were in New Zealand over spring break, I was able to try it at an authentic Indian restaurant.  It was pretty darn close, my Naan bread measured up!  Yeah!!  This is about the only part of our dinner that my 6 year old will eat, but he loves it!


Naan Bread
Adapted from Allrecipes
Printable Recipe

1 package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup white sugar
3 Tbls milk
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp salt
4 1/2 cups bread flour
2 tsp garlic, minced
1/4 cup butter

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.  Let it stand for 10 minutes, until it becomes frothy.  Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt and the flour.  Start with 4 cups of flour, and work up if you need to, to make a soft dough.  Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, until smooth.  Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour, until it has doubled in size.

Punch down the dough.  Pinch of small handfuls of dough and roll into the size of a golf ball.  Place on a tray, cover and rise for another 30 minutes.  If you want to freeze some of the dough (it makes A LOT), you would wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and put in freezer before you let it rise for the second time.  This works very well, I have done it before.  Just let them come to room temperature before your proceed to the next step.  With 3 people eating it, the first time we ended up wasting a lot of it!  I learned my lesson. 



Once they have risen, roll the dough into a thin circle.  In a small saute pan melt the butter and garlic together.  Preheat the grill.  You can use the outdoor grill, or a grill pan to cook these.  Lightly oil the grill, and place the dough on.  Cook for 2 or 3 minutes, until it starts to get puffy, and little bubbles form. 



Brush the uncooked side with the garlic butter, and turn over.  Brush the other side with butter, and cook for another 2 minutes.  Remove from grill, and finish cooking the rest of the bread.



Serve with Chicken Vindaloo, or anything else you would like.  This would go well with soups too!


13 Comments:

At May 17, 2011 at 10:09 AM , Blogger Deceptively Educational said...

I always thought Naan bread would be beyond my skill level, but you made it sound so easy. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I can't wait to give it a try!!

 
At May 17, 2011 at 11:32 AM , Anonymous Roxana GreenGirl said...

I love homemade bread, especially when still slightly warm. Who could resist it?
Your naan looks great, would make a perfect veggie accompaniment.
Thanks for sharing

 
At May 17, 2011 at 11:38 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Homemade Naan is on my must-conquer list! Yours look gorgeous! I would love to have that with my dinner!

 
At May 17, 2011 at 2:34 PM , Blogger Becka (The Elegant Eggplant) said...

This looks delicious! I love indian food, havent experimented much with making it at home though. PS - added you to my blogroll :)

 
At May 17, 2011 at 6:32 PM , Anonymous Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Naan bread but have never made my own before. I can't wait to try this out! :)

 
At May 17, 2011 at 7:19 PM , Blogger Kristen said...

I fell in love with naan at an Indian restaurant in Ireland years ago. I managed to make it a while back and you are right, it's wonderful! My kids love it more than the other Indian food, too.

 
At May 17, 2011 at 7:20 PM , Blogger Cooking Rookie said...

I love naan - and yours looks so pretty with these grill marks :-), yum!!

 
At May 17, 2011 at 8:06 PM , Blogger VegeCooking Club said...

Oh my gosh, naan is one of my most favorite things on the planet! In fact, I was going to buy some to make a pizza with it. (Also my fav pizza crust.) You get lots of extra points for making it yourself! (from one mom to another.)

 
At May 17, 2011 at 9:04 PM , Anonymous Anne said...

I love Naan bread...with a little hummus. I have to tell you...this looks much better than what I buy at the store! Nice job Erin! : )

 
At May 18, 2011 at 2:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks like a perfect naan!

 
At May 18, 2011 at 6:34 AM , Anonymous Manu said...

I have never made naan at home (and my husband is of Indian origin)!!! Must try this out... it looks perfect! I was in NZ too for Easter... amazing, we might have been in the same place at the same time!!! hehehe

 
At May 18, 2011 at 11:01 AM , Blogger Çitra's Home Diary said...

I never make this before.. sounds wonderful though.. thx for sharing.. your naan bread looks great! ^,^

 
At May 18, 2011 at 7:58 PM , Anonymous Tiffany said...

How FREAKING cool that you made your own naan!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home