This Page

has been moved to new address

Chicken Vindaloo

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts: Chicken Vindaloo

Monday, May 16, 2011

Chicken Vindaloo


It has been a busy day around here, volunteering at my son's school, grocery shopping, mowing the lawn, laundry, I almost didn't fit in writing about our Indian dinner last night. 

Indian food is relatively new to me.  I grew up in a pretty conservative food household.  Cashew Chicken was considered adventurous for Chinese food.  Indian, Thai, Japanese - unheard of.  We did live in the midwest, so coming across those type of restaurants would have been difficult, and it just wasn't something my Mom had any interested in cooking.  In her defense, even if she would have wanted to try it, I think my dad would have revolted.  He has gotten better as I have gotten older, but still when he goes to a Chinese buffet, he mainly goes for the fried shrimp.



So being that Indian food is new to me, I have had some hit or misses in the past.  Then my husband ordered Kitchens of India from Amazon for me to try.  I must say, I almost NEVER cook from a box or mix, but these are amazing!  Super simple, but really really good.  Then I saw Rachael Ray make this Chicken Vindaloo on her show, and I thought why not?  I will try it.  It was good, but very similar to the stuff in the mix.  I told my husband after dinner that even though it was more work than the other stuff, I am still proud that I was able to make from scratch something that tasted as good as the mix.  The mix is made in India, and it claims to be authentic - so I am going to believe that it is!



I pretty much followed her recipe exactly.  So instead of typing it all out again, I will just  link you to it.  The one change I did make was leaving out the Cardamom.  It was almost $7 for the bottle, and since you only needed 1/4 tsp, I couldn't justify buying it.  This was the first recipe I have ever seen it in, so I don't see myself going through the whole bottle of it.



 Serve with some Naan bread for a delicious meal!  (Naan recipe to follow in a different post, so stay tuned)  If you are a fan of Rachael Ray recipes you should check out Taste and Tell.  She has a great "Saturday's with Rachael Ray" series that is full of great recipes!

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At May 16, 2011 at 10:21 PM , Blogger Kate from Scratch said...

I've never made indian food before but this looks fabulous! I definitely need to try it soon. :)

 
At May 17, 2011 at 5:50 AM , Anonymous the constant hunger said...

Isn't great to try a new cuisine? This dish looks delicious.

 
At May 17, 2011 at 9:27 AM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Hubby does not like Indian food, but vindaloo is something I'd love to taste! I hope I can convince him to try it one day...or maybe I'll just have to have it ready for dinner when he gets home one night :) I actually have some cardamom on my spice rack!

Happy Tuesday, Erin~

 
At May 17, 2011 at 11:01 AM , Anonymous Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

This looks delicious and very good for a first attempt!

 
At June 29, 2011 at 10:51 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

My boyfriend is from India .. he in fact crew up in India and has only been in the United States for 6 years! I think I may have to give this a try and see what he thinks. :) I want to get more involved in cooking more Indian dishes.. because I only know of one ( Curry Chicken ) ( maybe I will share that on here )

Thank you - Kirsten

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home