This Page

has been moved to new address

Baked Wontons and a Bonus!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts: Baked Wontons and a Bonus!

Monday, May 23, 2011

Baked Wontons and a Bonus!


I mentioned before that I got a few cookbooks for Mother’s Day.  On like page 2, I saw a recipe for crispy baked wontons.  It was a must!  They looked great, and they were healthy.   This was the first on my long list of must try’s from this Taste of Home, Healthy Cooking cookbook. 

Once I had all the ingredients, I set to work.  These are a little labor intensive.  Any time you have mini filled things, you know it is going to take awhile.  But I was prepared, after all, they were wontons!  I am pretty sure this is a very Americanized version, but we enjoyed them.  They made the coveted, Will Make Again list.  They would work well as party appetizers, but we weren’t going  to wait for a party to try them.  And they were perfect.  You could easily freeze some instead of baking them all right away.  And when you have leftover Wonton wrappers, be sure to try Dessert Wontons

Crispy Baked Wontons

½ lb ground pork
½ lb pound ground turkey
1 small onion chopped
1 can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
¼ cup egg substitute
1 ½ tsp ground ginger
1 pkg wonton wrappers

In a large skillet cook the pork, turkey, and onion until the meat is cooked through.  Drain.  In a large bowl mix together the meat, water chestnuts, soy sauce, egg substitute and ginger.  Now if you don’t have egg substitute you could just use 1 regular egg.  Or even leave it out.  I am not sure it did much.  I ended up with a soup at the bottom of my meat,.  So next time, I am going to put the soy sauce in with the meat during the last few minutes of cooking, and just leave the egg out. 


Then comes the wrapping.   It is kind of hard to explain, so check out the pictures for the examples.  Lay one wrapper down at an angle.  Put in about 2 tsp of filling.  You have to play around with the amount to make it work for you.  Too much, and they don’t fold up well.   Moisten all the edges with water.  


Fold over the 2 sides.  


Starting at the bottom roll up to seal.  This isn’t how the book described, so you can mess around and see what works for you. 

 Place all the wontons on a lined baking sheet.  Spray them with cooking spray and bake at 400 degrees for 10 – 12 minutes.  I turned on the broiler the last minute to get them more brown and crispy.  

Serve with Sweet and Sour Sauce for dipping.  My super picky 6 year old even ate a couple (he dipped his in ranch)!  Huge success!





Bonus!!
What to do with the other ½ pound of turkey and pork – turn into a burger! 
I just mixed the pork and turkey with about 2 Tbls of Onion Soup Mix and 1 Tbls Ranch Dressing mix (great combo for beef burgers as well). 

 
 Form into patties.  


Grill for about 7 minutes per side, and top as you would a normal beef hamburger – they were very juicy and yummy!

 
Have a great week! 

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

At May 23, 2011 at 1:01 PM , Blogger Detodounlolo said...

All these look great but seem like a lot of work! I´m a terrible cook, get really nervous following recipes & have to say that I don´t enjoy it very much... too bad that I love to EAT and everything!!!
Hopped from Voice Boks
See you around
Lolo

 
At May 23, 2011 at 2:08 PM , Anonymous Jana said...

I totally want to make these! I love that you can make them ahead of time and THANK YOU for providing a second recipe on how to use up the leftover meat - that would have totally deterred me from trying these since I typically don't cook with ground pork or turkey! YUM!

 
At May 23, 2011 at 2:13 PM , Anonymous Megan @ Pip and Ebby said...

Wontons have always intimidated me (making, not eating..ha!), but you made it look like a piece of cake! Thanks for the inspiration!!

 
At May 23, 2011 at 2:31 PM , Blogger Victoria said...

A great healthy baked wonton recipe. You could use so many different fillings for this. Looks good :)

 
At May 23, 2011 at 4:41 PM , Blogger Becky Jane said...

You're makin' me wish I loved to cook...
New Follower from vB! Hope you can stop by for a visit.
Thanks, Becky Jane
http://RiseAboveYourLimits.blogspot.com/

 
At May 23, 2011 at 5:14 PM , Blogger Delicious Dishings said...

These look great! Almost like a potsticker/wonton cross. And I love how resourceful you were with the leftovers.

 
At May 23, 2011 at 7:41 PM , Blogger Pam said...

The baked wontons look amazing and so does the burger!

 
At May 23, 2011 at 8:11 PM , Blogger Christina Kim said...

Baked wantons?? That sounded very creative :) I am sure it tastes great too, as the looks are already so appealing!!:D

 
At May 24, 2011 at 2:03 AM , Blogger Steph said...

baked wontons look delicious and i can't wait to try that out!

 
At May 24, 2011 at 6:36 PM , Anonymous Julia @ George and Julia Eat Manhattan said...

Wow, this looks fantastic. I'm going to have to try these out at my upcoming annual dumpling party. Thanks for sharing it!

 
At May 27, 2011 at 12:46 AM , Blogger Çitra's Home Diary said...

I love wonton... and yours is something else that I usually make... nice to try it some times.. and the burger.... hmm...YUM! ^,^

 
At May 28, 2011 at 8:45 AM , Blogger Jan said...

Wontons are so laborious, but once made, they are so yummy! Never thought to bake them in the oven. Thanks for the tip :)

 
At May 30, 2011 at 9:47 PM , Blogger Anna Garcia said...

I Love Wontons. Thank You For The Recipe.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home