This Page

has been moved to new address

Guacamole

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts: Guacamole

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Guacamole



I have loved guacamole as long as I can remember.  We always had Mexican food on Sunday when I was growing up, and guacamole was usually on the menu.  So when I met my husband and he said he didn’t like it, I was shocked.  We made him try it, and he liked it!!  Turns out, I think he had only ever had the stuff in restaurants, which in my experience is notoriously BAD!  Over the years, he has grown to love it as much as I do, I think.  Now if we could only get our son on board. 

This is the recipe I grew up with, and I still make.  Lately if I have lime on hand I have been squirting some in, but that is a very new addition.  I have tried with cilantro and jalapeno’s and all sorts of other recipes, but I always come back to this.  And really, I get rave reviews on this one – so why change! 

Guacamole

2 Avocados
3 Tbls onion, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Lime juice (optional)

Halve the avocados, and remove the pits.  Using a fork mash the avocado.  


I have never measured anything with this recipe, so it is all estimates.  Play around with it how you like it.  Start small, and add more.  This is what is looks like once I put my seasonings on before I mix it all together.  


I squeeze the lime on at the end, if I put it on.  It is supposed to help it not turn brown. I just read in a magazine though that you are supposed to run your avocado (after it is cut in half, I believe), under super cold water, and that works too.  The article said there was no real reason why this worked, it just worked. 


If you want to get fancy you can put it in a bowl, and serve with chips.  Or you can just eat off the plate!  Whatever works for you.  




Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

At May 24, 2011 at 9:57 AM , Anonymous Jana said...

I'm like your husband, but the fact that you rehabilitated him with this recipe makes me think it's time to try a little guac again myself - not to mention how beautiful it looks in your pictures. Thanks!

 
At May 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM , Blogger Steph said...

yum! i love that your recipes are so easy to follow! going to get some chips now....

 
At May 24, 2011 at 1:25 PM , Blogger The Country Cook said...

Holy Guacamole! Years ago I would never eat it because my Mom didn't like so I thought I wouldn't like it either. Turns out I was totally wrong. I love the stuff - love it!!

 
At May 24, 2011 at 3:16 PM , Blogger Nancy said...

This looks great and we must be on the same wavelength as I posted my guacamole recipe last week. Yours looks great and can't wait to try it!

 
At May 24, 2011 at 4:48 PM , Blogger Holly Henry said...

Great recipe! I have found that there's so many variations to this dish and you can really make it your own:)

Thank you for sharing!

Holly

 
At May 24, 2011 at 6:36 PM , Anonymous Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

My husband still doesn't like it, the stinker! More for me...

 
At May 24, 2011 at 7:43 PM , Anonymous Anne said...

Erin...forget the chips...I could eat this with a spoon! There is nothing like fresh guac and this looks really good! : )

 
At May 24, 2011 at 10:24 PM , Blogger Morgan said...

Oh ... guacamole ... I could just sit down with the bowl and a spoon ... and love every mouthful!


Visiting from Voiceboks :)

 
At May 24, 2011 at 10:47 PM , Anonymous Tiffany said...

Such great, clean flavors! I love this recipe! :D

 
At May 24, 2011 at 11:40 PM , Blogger Sandra said...

I never tried it:) I am so ashamed..I love Mexican cuisine too but never was tempted to try guacamole:) I will have to pass this thought of mine and use your recipe as soon as I get some Avocados:) Sounds great the way you made it!

 
At May 25, 2011 at 6:26 AM , Anonymous claudia lamascolo said...

I love guacamole! Yours looks smooth and wonderful... I always seem to buy them not ripe enough and can't tell until I ruined my guacamole :( this is perfection here!

 
At May 25, 2011 at 7:31 AM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I don't think I've ever found a guacamole I didn't like! Your version looks great, Erin!

 
At May 25, 2011 at 10:39 PM , Anonymous kita said...

Ive never made me own guacamole, but this looks so beautiful and tasty! Can you help me think of any names to call it so my BF is willing to try it?? lol, he wont try things he thinks he doesn't like.

 
At May 26, 2011 at 12:18 AM , Blogger Debbie said...

I love Guacamole! Looks like a beautiful recipe...never tried Chili Powder in there...i'll have to try it, thanks!

 
At May 26, 2011 at 12:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love guacamole too..it is really a treat and yours look really appetizing

 
At May 29, 2011 at 5:34 PM , Anonymous Ishita S. said...

It must be guacamole season, since I just posted about guacamole too haha! I love using cumin and jalapeños in mine, but the combo of chili powder and paprika sounds delicious too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home