This Page

has been moved to new address

Pavlova

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts: Pavlova

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Pavlova


I hope everyone had a great long weekend.  We got lots done around our house, our yard, and spent time with friends.  It was a good weekend, but now back to reality!  At least until Friday when we go to see family for a few days!  My Sister-in-Law will be up with her kids from Florida, so we will get to spend some much needed time with them. 

Pavlova is traditionally topped with Kiwi and is a New Zealand specialty.  We had it in March when we were on vacation there, and I fell in love.  I had it topped with passion fruit, and then I had a rolled chocolate one, that was amazing!!  Back at home we opted to make one topped with strawberries.  My husband made it for me on Mother's Day, and it was so good!  For his business dinner a couple weeks ago he wanted to make it again.  But this time we got to work together on it.  Love when he helps in the kitchen and we can do it together!

Meringue SEEMS hard, but it is really so EASY.  If you have an electric stand mixer it will do all of the work for you.  Really, it is easy!  Trust me!  You can make it and your guests will be amazed, but you can keep the secret that it was simple. 

Pavlova
From Alton Brown
Printable Recipe


4 ounces egg whites, room temperature
Pinch kosher salt
6 ounces sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp corn starch

Whipped Cream
Cut up Fruit

Start by heating your oven to 250 degress,  You will want a large sheet pan that is lined with parchment paper, or a silicone linear. 


In the stand mixer bowl put in your egg whites and a pinch of salt.  Using the whisk attachment on high, whisk until stiff peaks, 4 to 5 minutes. 


Reduce the speed to medium and add the sugar over 2 minutes. 



Stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Increase the speed to high and whisk until the mixture is smooth and glossy and stiff peaks for, 6 to 7 minutes. 


 Decrease speed to low, and add the vanilla, vinegar and cornstarch.  Mix just to combine. 


Gently spoon the meringue onto the lined pan, and spread to make about a 9 inch circle forming a slight well in the center. 



Place the meringue into the oven and bake for 45 minutes.  Turn off the heat and leave it in the oven for 3 more hours.  Open the oven door and cool completely before removing from the oven, approximately 30 minutes. 

Just before serving make the Whipped Cream, you can find a recipe here.  Top the meringue with whipped cream, and sliced berries or fruit of your choice.  Serve immediately. 

 
A VERY happy boy there was leftovers from the party.  He LOVES Pavlova!

Labels: , , , , ,

24 Comments:

At May 31, 2011 at 10:38 AM , Blogger My Little Space said...

Hhmm..mm..this looks simply amazing! Thanks for sharing. Hope you're having a great day.
Kristy

 
At May 31, 2011 at 12:17 PM , Blogger camie said...

That looks so pretty!

 
At May 31, 2011 at 2:18 PM , Blogger Evelyne CulturEatz said...

I have done quite a few in my time and they are awesome.A great way to use seasonal fruits. Nice job!

 
At May 31, 2011 at 3:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been meaning to make one forever..
Your pictures are really encouraging..
Bookmarked to try very soon

 
At May 31, 2011 at 3:39 PM , Blogger DebrasDollars said...

This looks yummy! Thank you for sharing the recipe and instructions. I am following you through voiceBoks. I wanted to tell you I am your newest follower as well.

~Debra
http://debrasdollars.blogspot.com/

 
At May 31, 2011 at 3:56 PM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

This is one of our favorite desserts and you executed it perfectly! SO beautiful with fresh strawberries~

 
At May 31, 2011 at 5:03 PM , Anonymous Priscilla - She's Cookin' said...

I don't think I've ever had a Pavlova, but it looks like a dessert that I could make :) It looks fantastic and I'll bet it's delicious with any fruit!

 
At May 31, 2011 at 6:11 PM , Anonymous Leanna @ Raptortoe.com said...

Nice!! I've never made pavlova, but I'd like to try eventually.

 
At May 31, 2011 at 6:25 PM , Blogger Sandra said...

What a great recipe, and it looks so pretty and tempting! Your boy is adorable..mine would take a big spoon hahaha
Have a great week!!!

 
At May 31, 2011 at 6:30 PM , Anonymous spcookiequeen said...

Great recipe erin, love the pic of your boy enjoying the Pavlova. Who wouldn't want a big spoonful of this.
-Gina-

 
At May 31, 2011 at 6:52 PM , Blogger Cassie | Bake Your Day said...

This sounds really wonderful! I have never made it but you make it sound easy!

 
At May 31, 2011 at 8:18 PM , Anonymous Happy When Not Hungry said...

This pavlova looks amazing! Love your photos too :-)

 
At May 31, 2011 at 8:26 PM , Anonymous Kate@Diethood said...

The Pavlova is one of my favorite cakes!!
Yours looks so beautiful with all those strawberries on top!

 
At May 31, 2011 at 9:02 PM , Anonymous Chad @ thebreakupnote said...

I've made a few cakes before... but I doubt I could ever make something that looks as incredible as this. You are an artisan!

 
At May 31, 2011 at 9:03 PM , Anonymous Elin said...

Hi Erin...thanks for dropping by my blog :) and after looking at your pavlova..I am going to try my hand at it :) Great dessert ! Love your photos too!

 
At May 31, 2011 at 9:16 PM , Blogger PolaM said...

Looks sooooo good and fresh! Perfect for summer!

 
At May 31, 2011 at 10:31 PM , Anonymous kitchenarian said...

Pavlova with strawberries is my favorite. Beautiful!

 
At May 31, 2011 at 10:47 PM , Anonymous Anne said...

Erin...this is beautiful! I must try this. It just looks so delicate, but I've heard others say it is pretty easy. It showcases the strawberries perfectly! I am impressed! (Actually, I am impressed that your husband made one for you for Mother's Day....he's a keeper!) : )

 
At May 31, 2011 at 11:54 PM , Blogger Christa Cox said...

hey found your blog at the "memorial day edition finding friends blog hop"! Just doing a little self promotion cuz we are cool like that ;) so be sure to come check out our blog (www.christanncox.blogspot.com) WE FOLLOW BACK! :) have a great night!

 
At June 1, 2011 at 12:08 AM , Blogger Gina Jacobs Thomas said...

YUM! My Aussie friend makes this all of the time, and now I have the recipe! (insert sneaky, menacing laugh here...)

 
At June 1, 2011 at 12:15 AM , Blogger Çitra's Home Diary said...

Sounds great Erin ! another recipe from egg white on my file now... thx for step by step instruction . ^,^

 
At June 1, 2011 at 2:29 PM , Blogger Vicki Wilde said...

Your pavlova looks so pretty! I agree that it's the perfect summertime dessert, you can top it with the most seasonal fruit!

 
At June 2, 2011 at 8:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh goodness! I have to stop looking through your desserts! The temptation is too great lol. But as always Erin your desserts are spectacular. Thanks for sharing, it's gorgeous! =]

 
At June 5, 2011 at 3:36 PM , Blogger Beth said...

Sigh. It doesn't get any better than this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home