This Page

has been moved to new address

Chicken Skewers

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts: Chicken Skewers

Friday, May 27, 2011

Chicken Skewers









It is the last day of school for my little boy today!  He is officially done with Kindergarten.  I don't know how we got here so quickly!  Only 9 short months ago he could barely read a few words, and now he is reading chapter books, he wants to walk to the bus stop alone, and just get dropped off by the door.  So bitter sweet to see him grow up and become so much more independent. 

Ok, sorry!  Proud Mom.  I will move on to the food now!

Memorial Day weekend is here!  It is practically the grilling holiday of the country.  So after you take a second to remember what Memorial Day is all about, and all the people who have fought so we can grill to our hearts content on this day, consider something other than a burger.  Oh don't get me wrong, I love a good burger!  But I do like to change it up as well.  These chicken skewers are a great alternative.  1.  They are healthy  2.  They have an avocado dipping sauce (did you read that right?  AVOCADO!)  3.  They are super quick and easy.  We had these the other night, and they were a hit all around.  My son doesn't like avocado (I know, I really need to do something about him), so he dipped his in ranch. 


Chicken Skewers with Cool Avocado Sauce
Printable Recipe
Adapted from Taste of Home Healthy Cooking

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup lime juice
1 Tbls balsamic vinegar
2 tsp minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
1/2 tsp salt

Sauce
1 avocado
1-2 Tbls sour cream
1 Tbls minced cilantro
1/2 lime, juiced
1/2 tsp lime zest
1/4 tsp salt

Pound chicken to about 1/4 in thick, and cute into 1 inch strips.  Combine the lime juice, vinegar, chipotle and salt in a ziploc bag.  Add chicken, and squish it around to coat.  Marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. 

To make the sauce halve the avocado and remove the pit.  Using a fork mash the avocado.  Stir in the sour cream and cilantro.  Once well combined add the zest, salt, and squeeze in the juice from half a lime.   Refrigerate until serving.



Thread the chicken onto skewers.  If you are using wooden skewers, make sure they are soaked first.  This prevents them from burning, and from splinters getting into your meat.  Discard the marinade.  Grill covered over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side until no longer pink. 



Serve with the sauce.  Enjoy!




Labels: , , , , , , ,

19 Comments:

At May 27, 2011 at 11:38 AM , Blogger Pain SUX said...

Hello there, new follower here. I'm hoping that when you get a chance, you'll stop by and follow me back.

These chicken skewers look so yummy. Now I'm hungry all over again :)

~Steph
http://fortheluvofsanity.blogspot.com

 
At May 27, 2011 at 12:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks yummy. Might have to skip the spicy parts because you know I'm a wimp. Sent it to Max for him to make :)

 
At May 27, 2011 at 12:30 PM , Blogger JoAnn said...

Hi,
Following you from the blog hop, hope you will follow me too! Great recipe for chicken, I`m going to try this holiday weekend!
JoAnn
http://aunaturelle2.blogspot.com/

 
At May 27, 2011 at 1:01 PM , Anonymous Jana said...

I don't know why it never occurred to me to cut the chicken into strips when we make kabobs. That seems so simple, but will totally make the prep easier than dealing with tiny odd-shaped chicken pieces. Thanks Erin!

 
At May 27, 2011 at 2:26 PM , Blogger Shelly said...

YUMMY!!!!!! Stopping by from the FNF blog hop! Hope to see you hop over to mine (I am one of the hosts) . I also have a giveaway on my blog! COme check it out! :)
http://myowngrocerygame.blogspot.com/2011/05/review-giveaway-bramis-by-kelley.html

 
At May 27, 2011 at 2:54 PM , Anonymous Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

These chicken skewers are perfect for the weekend grilling! It will definitely go well with that avocado sauce with sour cream. I will have to make some soon.

 
At May 27, 2011 at 3:28 PM , Anonymous Leah @ L4L said...

Why have I never thought to do chicken skewers threaded on there like that?! Love it!

 
At May 27, 2011 at 4:52 PM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

This sounds like a super dinner...especially now that it finally feels like grilling season has arrived :)

Congrats to your sweet boy on finishing Kindergarten and becoming so independent (sniff, sniff). My "baby" just finished his junior year of high school today~

 
At May 27, 2011 at 5:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my kind of meal. Love the skewers and the sauce.

Pam
For the Love of Cooking

 
At May 27, 2011 at 6:05 PM , Blogger Katherines Corner said...

Yum...drool...yumm...:-)
Sorry I have to leave this eloquent comment using my other blog, LOL( blogger isn't working) Thank you for extending your friendship at VB. Hugs, Katherine http://giftsbykatherine.com

 
At May 27, 2011 at 7:09 PM , Anonymous In Katrina's Kitchen said...

Aw congrats to your little man for making it through Kindergarten!

 
At May 27, 2011 at 8:45 PM , Blogger Diethood.com said...

Congrats to your little one!!!

I want that sauce ... it sounds so good when paired with that chicken.

 
At May 28, 2011 at 9:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hopefully your son will grow out of his aversion to avocado and see it for the wonderful thing it really is. Ranch isn't too bad a substitute though! The chicken skewers look fantastic and would definitely pairs beautifully with the dip (especially with the cilantro in there!).

 
At May 29, 2011 at 11:32 AM , Anonymous Anne said...

Erin...it's so funny to read your post. Because when I first looked at the picture I thought, man..those look good...and then....wait...is that avocado in the background?!!!! You are a girl after my own heart. Will definitely try these. And congrats on surviving kindergarten! The best is yet to come! : )

 
At May 29, 2011 at 5:34 PM , Blogger Sandra said...

Ohh I love chicken skewers...looks amazing and perfectly delicious!!!!

 
At May 29, 2011 at 7:54 PM , Blogger TinaRBK said...

Lime and chipotle are super ingredients and pairing the meat with the avocados really puts it over the top. Definitely Tex Mex approved!

 
At May 29, 2011 at 8:14 PM , Blogger Reeni said...

Your chicken skewers look excellent! I love the avocado sauce! And your son is cute - congrats to him!

 
At May 30, 2011 at 11:05 AM , Blogger My Little Space said...

Hi Erin, thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. You've a very lovely blog here. I'm going to scroll around after this. So excited! Thanks for sharing and hope to hear from you more often, dear.
Have a lovely day.
Blessings, Kristy

 
At May 30, 2011 at 10:30 PM , Blogger Amy said...

Look fabulous! But then, I love avocados and chicken - a match made in heaven!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home