This Page

has been moved to new address

Zucchini Fritters

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts: Zucchini Fritters

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Zucchini Fritters



I struggle on a daily basis to get my family to eat vegetables.  Corn on the cob (which is borderline a vegetable) is about the only thing that flies.  Sometimes I get sneaky and put them in muffins and other things, so they can't be identified.  And I refuse to deep fry veggies to get them eaten, talk about defeating the point.  So I continue to put them out there, in hopes that one day they will get eaten.  In the mean time I will try recipes like this to see if they work.  It kind of did. 

So I refuse to deep fry, but put breadcrumbs on it and bake it is fair game.  And provide a dipping sauce....bonus!  I enjoyed these very much, but I like vegetables.  My husband who has taken probably one bite of zucchini in his life, actually ate the equivalent of half of a zucchini prepared this way.  My son......he had 2 before he decided he didn't like it.  But that was 2 more than ever before!   Last time I got him to try zucchini, it touched his tongue and it was an immediate this is gross, drinking milk to get it down, disaster.  So I am going to count this one as a win for me. 

Zucchini Fritters
Adapted from Taste of Home Healthy Cooking
Printable Recipe

1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup egg substitute
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
2 Tbls Taco seasoning
1/4 tsp garlic salt
2 small zucchini

Sauce
1/4 cup sour cream (fat free)
1/4 cup salsa
1/4 ranch dressing (low fat)

In a bowl combine the buttermilk and egg substitute.  In another bowl combine breadcrumbs, panko, cheese, taco seasoning, and garlic salt.  I didn't realize this, but you can buy a tiny carton of buttermilk at the store for like $.39.  I was hesitant at first, because I didn't want a huge thing of buttermilk around that wouldn't get used.  But then I saw it was only $.39 - score!



Slice zucchini into 1/4 inch thick slices.



Dip zucchini into buttermilk, and then into breadcrumbs.  Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.  Spray the zucchini with cooking spray as well.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, turning half way.


For the sauce combine everything in a small bowl, and mix it together. 


Serve the fritters with the sauce for a great appetizer or a side dish with dinner. 

Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

At May 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I've made zucchini fritters with shredded zucchini, and I know I'd love your recipe, too! Hubby mixes up zucchini with cucumbers...and won't touch either. I think he's a lost cause :)

 
At May 19, 2011 at 12:24 PM , Blogger Victoria said...

This is definitely a win for you! I personally love veggies, especially zucchini. This is a great preparation, way healthier than fried. I'm glad your family is catching onto the veggie wave :) Hopefully more soon!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 12:27 PM , Blogger Becka (The Elegant Eggplant) said...

this looks SO good, erin! definitely going to try this one out soon. also.. im not a huge fan of "hungry girl" because of all the artificial ingredients she uses, but she did give me one tip i think is interesting... breading with crushed up fiber one cereal! try that one out too :)

 
At May 19, 2011 at 3:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

New follower! Please follow back at
Www.Adventuresofamnmom.Com

 
At May 19, 2011 at 3:22 PM , Anonymous sheila @ Elements said...

Looks so good! I'm fond of deep frying zucchini and squash, but I'll bet I'd love it baked the way you did it! I'll have to give it try sometime! I bookmarked your recipe so I won't forget. :)

 
At May 19, 2011 at 3:24 PM , Blogger Quirky Homemaker said...

That sounds yummy!! Following you now from Bloggy Moms! If you're interested, I host a weekend hop that starts tonight at 10PM EST. Come join us!
Michelle
http://www.heartfeltbalancehandmadelife.blogspot.com

 
At May 19, 2011 at 4:46 PM , Blogger Joanne said...

Great recipe. They sound so good. I always bake and don't miss not having a deep fryer at all. I think everything turns out great in the oven PLUS you won't suffer indigestion. :)

 
At May 19, 2011 at 10:15 PM , Blogger Lexie Lane said...

Yum!
Hi Erin, please come and join us over at voiceBoks.com where you will meet a really great group of women who I'm sure will definitely be following you. Also, we are opening up a new directory and would love it if you would submit your recipes there.

Hope to see you there!

sincerely,

Lexie Lane
www.voiceboks.com

 
At May 20, 2011 at 4:09 AM , Blogger PFx said...

Hi Erin,
Thanks for the pop-by.
You know one thing I do when I surf around blogs is doing a quick scroll up and down. And I'm surprised!
What you've posted is what I'd make at home too! (or at least what I imagine I'd make) :)
And that Zucchini fritters would definitely be great on a piece of pan-fried fish. Yum!

 
At May 20, 2011 at 6:02 AM , Anonymous the constant hunger said...

Hey, this is a great idea! Baking instead of frying certainly helps keep those calories in check.

 
At May 20, 2011 at 7:21 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm going to try this one out. I have two vegatbel eating children who I know would like this, I also have one who has not seen a vegtable since it came in a baby food jar, but who knows! Great blog, I'm now a happy follower!

I found you on Voiceboks.com a new networking site. The blogs are great as are the women. You would fit it perfectly! Hope to see you there!

 
At May 20, 2011 at 9:00 AM , Blogger Becky McNeer said...

yay! so glad i found you via vb! i love zucchini fritters! you might try some of the recipes on my blog too! http://homesandbabies.blogspot.com

 
At May 23, 2011 at 8:19 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

These sound amazing Erin! I have trouble getting my husband to eat veggies too. Unfortunately I think even breading wouldn't convince him to try zucchini, but that just means more for me :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home