This Page

has been moved to new address

Pokey Sticks

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts: Pokey Sticks

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pokey Sticks



If you went to a big college town in the midwest (Madison, Iowa City), you probably know what Gumby's Pizza is.  And you have probably had Pokey Sticks a time or two in your day.  Do you remember how good they were?  Oh my goodness, they were like pure heaven with dough and cheese.  Well, now that I am out of college, and don't live near Gumby's, I had to figure out a way to fill the void.  My husband is very grateful that I have! 

Now....If you have never had these, they are a meal.  They could be described as cheesy breadsticks, but they aren't just an appetizer.  Both of our parents had heard us talk about these, but didn't get it.  So finally we made them when they were around.  I think they finally go it, full meal, not just breadsticks!  Think of it as pizza, with different sauce, just cheese, in stick form :)  Dip in Ranch (I have not duplicated Gumby's Ranch, much to my husbands disappointment), or pizza sauce, and you have yourself a delicious, cheesy, buttery, meal.  This has come to be somewhat of a tradition in our house.  Sunday nights...Pokey Sticks and Amazing Race.  Pretty good combination :)  We even have a designated plate that is the "Pokey Stick plate".  If my son sees it in the dishwasher, he gets upset that we may have had Pokey Sticks without him!


Pokey Sticks
Inspiration from Gumby's Pizza
Printable Recipe

Dough
2 1/2 cups flour
1 Tbls Rapid Rise Yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 cup Hot water (115 degrees)
1 Tbls Canola oil

Topping
2 Tbls Parmesan Cheese
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup margarine, melted
1 cup Mozeralla Cheese

Mix together the dry ingredients for the dough.  Combine the water and oil, and mix into the dough.  Mix until it forms a ball.  Turn onto floured surface and knead for about 2-3 minutes.  Just until it is no longer sticky.  Put into a bowl sprayed with non-stick spray and let rise for 20-25 minutes, until it looks like this:



While the dough is rising mix together the cheese, and seasonings in a small bowl.  Now, margarine is not usually written into recipes, usually it is butter.  But for some reason I think margarine tastes more authentic in this.  Use whatever you want, but I buy the stick margarine just for Pokey Sticks.  Melt the margarine, and mix in the seasonings.



Spread the dough out onto a prepared baking sheet.  I like to grease it, and then sprinkle with corn meal so the dough doesn't get to soggy.  I just use my fingers to get the dough into about a 12 in circle.  Spread the margarine mixture around the entire surface, and top cheese. 



Bake at 450 degrees, for 12-14 minutes.  Now, when they come out, you have to make sure to cut them correctly :)  Cut once across the middle, and then cut opposite that way, to make little sticks. 



Labels: , , , , ,

18 Comments:

At May 10, 2011 at 3:24 PM , Blogger Chris's Gourmet Fashion said...

Yum, these bread sticks look really good. That Parmesan topping puts the icing on the cake so to speak.

 
At May 10, 2011 at 11:41 PM , Anonymous spcookiequeen said...

Never had a pokey stick but they sure do sound good. Sounds so cheesy and delicious. Thanks for sharing it with us.
-Gina-

 
At May 11, 2011 at 3:55 AM , Blogger Apron Appeal said...

those little guys are a cheese pizza! Who needs Olive Garden Breadsticks when these are an option?

 
At May 11, 2011 at 9:40 AM , Anonymous emily (a nutritionist eats) said...

Um, I've DEFINITELY had Pokey sticks - how do they compare to Toppers Sticks?! It has been too long! (Thankfully the Toppers in Minneapolis doesn't deliver downtown or I would be tempted often. :) )

 
At May 11, 2011 at 9:45 AM , Blogger Erin said...

I have only had Toppers once, and if I remember correctly I thought they were just "cheesier". They sauce might be a slightly different, but they are similar.

 
At May 11, 2011 at 9:54 AM , Blogger Annie Oakley's Kitchen said...

Oh man, those look so good! They would be great dipped in ranch or marinara!

 
At May 11, 2011 at 10:02 AM , Blogger Pam said...

I think these would be dangerous in my house - I could eat way too many!

 
At May 11, 2011 at 10:56 PM , Blogger Mother Rimmy said...

Okay, you have sent me to heaven!

 
At May 12, 2011 at 1:29 PM , Blogger Karis said...

Oh wow, I want to make these tonight! I went to UW-Madison, and pokey sticks were frequently delivered to my apartment :)

 
At May 13, 2011 at 2:52 PM , Anonymous Leanna @ Raptortoe said...

I.. want to eat this right now. Please.

 
At May 13, 2011 at 9:33 PM , Blogger Deceptively Educational said...

I made these tonight. YUMMO! Question, though, was I supposed to use grated parmesan or shredded? We whipped up a little ranch dipping sauce and aside from our two screaming boys, it was almost like we were two college kids again!

 
At May 13, 2011 at 9:46 PM , Blogger Erin said...

@Mrs Practical - the grated parmesan cheese that comes in the shaker container is what I use - Kraft or any other brand is fine.

 
At May 14, 2011 at 11:48 AM , Anonymous Cristi said...

O.K. Erin I am making these tonight. Is it really 1 Tablespoon of yeast? Sounds like a lot. I use a lot less when a make 2 pizza dough crusts(2 teaspoons)Just double checking. I will tell you how it turns out!!

 
At May 16, 2011 at 5:12 PM , Blogger Krissy said...

This looks so good. Who doesn't love dough and cheese. We love to dip in ranch and Franks Red Hot Sauce :) Sometimes we pile up a salad right on top of the pizza with buttermilk ranch. Can't wait to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

 
At May 31, 2011 at 6:17 PM , Blogger Nancy said...

Oh yes I could really eat these as a meal. Thanks for sharing the recipe and I can't wait to try it soon. Also Thanks for participating in this month's YBR :)

 
At June 1, 2011 at 2:28 PM , Anonymous Katherine said...

Yum! We had a similar-ish food at a local place called Esperantos where I went to college (Saratoga) called dough boys that I still crave! Love this post. Great YBR entry.

 
At June 1, 2011 at 9:57 PM , Anonymous Betty @ scrambled henfruit said...

I've never heard of Pokey Sticks- where have I been? Now that I've heard of them though, I must make them. They look really good! :)

 
At June 2, 2011 at 1:23 AM , Anonymous Priscilla - She's Cookin' said...

Erin, sorry I missed Gumby's during my year and a half at Coe College in Cedar Rapids! I remember visiting Madison and Iowa City, but most of all I remember how COLD it was! These look terrific - would have went well with all the beer I drank while there :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home