This Page

has been moved to new address

Margarita Cake

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts: Margarita Cake

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Margarita Cake



Friday was Girls Night In, as I wrote about earlier this week.  We had a fabulous spread of Mexican food - chips, salsa, guacamole, enchiladas and more!  To top off all of this great food, I thought we needed a yummy dessert.  This usually is not a problem for me!  But, there is a big But.  One of my friends is allergic to chocolate!!! This poses a problem for me, almost every dessert I make has chocolate in it, even if it is just a little.  So I had to get creative.  It was Cinco De Mayo week, so how about a margarita cake.  I mean, margaritas are part of the reason we get together, so why not put it in dessert :) 

Ok, I had a plan, now how do I execute it?  Well Betty Crocker had an interesting recipe, so why not turn that into my own.  They had a pretzel crust, white cake mix with margarita mix instead of the liquids, and cool whip on top.  Well, I couldn't just do that but hhhmmm.....crust with cake? Why not!  The girls thought this was a hit.  The cake was a thick moist cake, and the lime flavor was just perfect.  The crust was really good.  You don't normally have cake with a crust, so it was a unique twist.  Now, I just used plain margarita mix, without the tequila in it.  But you could easily use the premixed stuff.  I just knew my family would be eating the leftovers, and didn't want my 6 year old eating cake with tequila in it!


Margarita Cake
Adapted from Betty Crocker
Printable Recipe

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup margarita mix
About 20 graham crackers (1 sleeve of them)
6 Tbls butter, melted
1 cup heavy cream
3 Tbls powdered sugar
1 Tbls margarita mix



Turn the graham crackers into crumbs.  I use my food processor to make quick work of it.  Mix in the melted butter, and press into a cake pan.  This makes enough for about a 9 inch cake pan.  I used a spring form pan, so I could get it out easily! 



Cream together the butter and sugar.  I "think" the fluffier you get this mixture the lighter your cake will be.  I am new to making cakes from scratch, so this is just a theory to be tested at this point.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.  Combine the flour and baking powder, and add to the creamed mixture.  Mix well.  I also think next time I would use baking soda instead of powder.  In my research most cakes used soda, again I think it leads to a lighter cake.  Finally, stir in the margarita mix until the batter is smooth.  Pour into the pan.



Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, in a a 350 degree oven.  When a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean, the cake is done. 

While the cake cools, you can make the topping.  It is basically a lime flavored whipped cream.  Whipped cream is really easy to make.  Start by putting your mixing bowl, and whip attachment in the fridge to get cold.  Once ready, about 15 minutes later, pour in 1 cup of heavy cream.  Mix until it starts to thicken.  Then add in the sugar and margarita mix until you get to stiff peaks.  Be careful not to overmix, it will turn to butter. You can fix it if you mix to far - just add more cream and mix again. 



Spread cream over cooled cake.  Top with some lime zest, and sliced lime! 


Labels: , , , ,

16 Comments:

At May 11, 2011 at 12:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think she's allergic, I think she's just a complainer :) Just kidding! This cake was sooooo good. As I said Friday night, I could do without the topping, just the cake itself was heavy enough that it could be dessert alone. It was so good, thank you Erin!
S

 
At May 11, 2011 at 2:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh that looks soo good! That would be the perfect dessert after some Mexican food!

 
At May 11, 2011 at 3:12 PM , Blogger All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

The flavors of a margarita in cake form sounds terrific. I am definitely not going to wait for Cinco de Mayo to come around again so I can try this. Sorry about your friend's allergy to chocolate. Have you asked her if she can eat white chocolate? White chocolate contains cocoa butter rather than cocoa nibs, and there are some great recipes out there for white mud cake.

 
At May 11, 2011 at 6:48 PM , Anonymous Anne said...

This looks fabulous! The flavors of the margarita mix and lime zest make it a perfect cake for summer. And the addition of a crust with a cake is brilliant! Yum! : )

 
At May 11, 2011 at 8:19 PM , Blogger Evelyne CulturEatz said...

What an awesome flavor for a cake! That is very cool and it looks amazing and moist. I like the original pretzel crust idea too.

 
At May 11, 2011 at 9:06 PM , Blogger Vicki Wilde said...

This looks delicious, love your flavors! I'm in love with the pretzel crust, I can think of so many things that would be amazing with it!

 
At May 12, 2011 at 8:56 AM , Blogger Sandra said...

Very well done..I love the way you made this cake, and I loveee your pictures!!! Thanks for sharing sweetie and have a wonderful day!!!

 
At May 12, 2011 at 1:28 PM , Anonymous Tiffany said...

I'd love TWO slices of this cake! :D

 
At May 13, 2011 at 12:51 PM , Blogger Holly Henry said...

This looks awesome Erin!!!!! What a great way to celebrate May!

 
At May 13, 2011 at 9:47 PM , Blogger Alexandra said...

AAAH this is right up my alley! Can't wait to try it!!! But I think I'll leave the tequila in ;)

 
At May 14, 2011 at 8:00 PM , Blogger Diethood.com said...

YUMMMM! This is right up my alley...love all those flavors in there. Beautiful cake!

 
At May 14, 2011 at 8:57 PM , Anonymous Eileen said...

Erin, I'll send you some of my blondies for a piece of this cake. It looks and sounds delicious!

 
At May 15, 2011 at 10:53 AM , Blogger Buttercream Blondie said...

This is my type of cake! It looks awesome and just perfect for girl's night!

 
At May 17, 2011 at 7:35 PM , Anonymous Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum said...

Margarita + cake = summertime fun! Can't wait to try this!

 
At May 18, 2011 at 8:06 AM , Blogger Debbie said...

A cake with a crust sure is interesting, but it looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe share :-)

 
At May 20, 2011 at 2:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love anything with lime in it so this is a keeper by default. That being said, after reading the directions, I'm doubly wanting to make it. Thanks a bunch for sharing your adaptation of the recipe with us.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home