This Page

has been moved to new address

Shrimp Cakes

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts: Shrimp Cakes

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Shrimp Cakes



As a child I loved shrimp.  I would eat breaded shrimp like there was no tomorrow.  Something happened around age 11 and I didn't like it anymore.  I have never really liked seafood of any kind, which has been a problem for my husband.  Over the last couple years he has tried to get me to like shrimp again. I make it at home now about once a month, and I enjoy it.  It isn't my favorite, but it is good.  I have even ordered it at restaurants a couple times, which is a HUGE improvement. 

These shrimp cakes are really good.  My 6 year old even loves these, which is a shock to anyone who knows him.  They look really fancy, but are pretty easy.  And you can make them ahead of time, which makes them great for busy night or even parties.  The recipe makes 10 shrimp cakes, and with the topping they are about 120 calories a piece, so healthy too! 

Shrimp Cakes with Corn and Avocado Salsa
Adapted from Cooking Light
Printable Recipe

Cakes:
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 garlic clove
1/4 thinly sliced green onions
3 Tbls reduced-fat mayo
1 Tbls lime juice
1 1/2 tsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs

Salsa:
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 avocado, diced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
3 Tbls red onion, chopped
1/2 jalapeno, chopped
1 Tbls lime juice
1/4 salt



To make the cakes, put the shrimp in the food processor.  Pulse 10 times until it is finely chopped.  It will look like this.



Transfer the shrimp to a medium size bowl.  I like to grate the garlic in, so it gets all through the shrimp.  Then add in the onions, mayo, lime juice, hot sauce, sugar, salt and egg.  Mix well.  Stir in the cilantro and 1/4 cup of panko. 



Divide the shrimp mixture into 10 equal portions.  Shape into about 1/2 in thick patty.  Dredge both sides into the remaining panko.  The shrimp mixture is really sticky, so don't worry that you did anything wrong.  Chill for at least one hour.  You can make these in the morning, so the are ready for dinner.  Or you can even cook them in batches.  We don't eat all 10 for dinner, so I put the uncooked ones back in the fridge, and make them the next day. 



To prepare salsa, combine the corn and remaining ingredients; stir gently.  Serve immediately with shrimp cakes. 


Heat pan over medium-high heat.  Coat pan with olive oil.  Cook about 4 minutes a side until they are browned. 




Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At May 4, 2011 at 12:14 PM , Anonymous Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen said...

Yum, I've never had shrimp cakes before but this looks and sounds wonderful!

 
At May 4, 2011 at 2:34 PM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

WOW, these look wonderful...and the accompanying salsa sounds fabulous, too! Great seafood dish :)

 
At May 4, 2011 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Thanks!!

Lizzy - I printed your shrimp dish from the other day to try soon!

 
At May 4, 2011 at 7:35 PM , Anonymous Eileen said...

I use to eat fried shrimp when I was a little girl. At some point, I stopped eating it too. My hubby makes shrimp dishes once in awhile and I like the smell of it cooking. I should just get brave and try it one of these days. Glad I'm not alone. By the way, your dish looks delicious.

 
At May 4, 2011 at 8:11 PM , Anonymous Anne said...

Erin! These shrimp cakes look delicious!!! And I love corn and avocado! I think I am going to have to treat myself to these for mother's day this weekend! Great recipe! : )

 
At May 4, 2011 at 8:53 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Anne - If you make them let me know how you like them! Send me a picture, and I will put them in an album on my facebook page!

 
At May 5, 2011 at 6:05 AM , Anonymous the constant hunger said...

My love of seafood has been constant since I was a kid. These little cakes are exactly the type of dish that I crave! Bold, fresh flavors. Delish!!!

 
At May 5, 2011 at 8:53 AM , Blogger Karen said...

Love these shrimp cakes, especially with the corn and avocado. Great flavor combo. I can see why these could sway a non-shrimp eater the other way!

 
At May 5, 2011 at 4:19 PM , Blogger The MacKay Way said...

Looks tasty! I'll bookmark it! Thanks for taking a stop by my site! Welcome!

 
At May 6, 2011 at 12:15 AM , Blogger Buttercream Blondie said...

These look awesome! The corn and avocado salsa sounds fabulous!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home