This Page

has been moved to new address

Honey Oat Bread

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts: Honey Oat Bread

Monday, June 13, 2011

Honey Oat Bread



I love fresh bread, who doesn’t?  There is just something about bread out of the oven that makes it better than anything else.  So when I saw this recipe in Bon Appetit, I was sold.   There is NO KNEADING!!!  Yes you read that right, this bread is amazing and there is no kneading involved.  Yes there is yeast,  but still, the kneading is the worst part for me.  I never do it long enough, or too long, it is always a struggle. 

I made this when we had some friends over the other night.  Everyone loved it.  The kids all had multiple slices too!  It was light, with a little bit of sweet, it was just perfect.  And it has Oatmeal in it, so it has to be healthy, right?  I am always hearing how I should eat more Oats!  This calls for all-purpose flour which is what I used.  Next time I think I will try ½ all purpose, ½ whole wheat.  My husband said it would be a good bread to mix in some nuts into. 

Honey-Oat Bread
Recipe from Bon Appetit

1 ¾ cup warm water
1 Tbls Active Dry Yeast
¾ cups quick-cooking oats
1/3 cup honey
3 Tbls Canola Oil
2 ½ tsp salt
5 cups (about) all purpose flour
1 large egg, beaten
2 Tbls additional oats

Sprinkle the yeast over the water, and let set for 10 minutes until frothy.  In a large bowl mix together the oats, honey, oil and salt, and the water.  Stir in enough of the flour to form a soft dough (I started with 4 ½ cups and went from there).  Coat a large bowl with non-stick spray.  Transfer dough the bowl and turn it over to coat.  Cover with plastic wrap and then a kitchen towel.  Let rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in volume.

 
Punch the dough down, and shape into 2 loaves.  I just free formed 2 loaves on a baking sheet.  But you could use loaf pans if you wanted (this is actually what the recipe calls for).  Cover and let rise for 20 minutes. 

 
Brush the top of the loaves with egg, and sprinkle with the additional oats.  Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.  When you knock on the bottom of the bread and it sounds hollow, it is done. 

Top with butter, or honey for a delicious side to any meal!


Labels: , , , , , ,

27 Comments:

At June 13, 2011 at 9:35 AM , Blogger Dreams of cakes said...

This bread looks delicious! I will give it a try soon. Thanks for sharing!

 
At June 13, 2011 at 10:21 AM , Blogger Gerry @Foodness Gracious said...

Great job, I love the no knead recipes, I have a few on my blog also. Yours looks awesome with great pictures...
Thanks for sharing

 
At June 13, 2011 at 10:44 AM , Blogger Gina said...

This is a good way to make bread. I love oats and seeds on my bread. I bet is smelled so good straight out of the oven.
-Gina-

 
At June 13, 2011 at 11:12 AM , Blogger Evelyne CulturEatz said...

Oh that looks gooooood. And no kneading. I have a book on how to do such breads but a totally different approach. yours is faster. Putting this in the do to list.

 
At June 13, 2011 at 11:30 AM , Blogger Nancy said...

This looks so great. I can't wait to make it! Thanks!

 
At June 13, 2011 at 1:43 PM , Blogger Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

This is one that I have to make, my son has been on an oatmeal bread kick, I havent thought to make it from scratch! Now you have diffinitely inspired me he will love this looks awesome!

 
At June 13, 2011 at 3:10 PM , Anonymous flourtrader said...

I have yet to use oats in bread making-but this one does look light and tasty. Thanks for sharing!

 
At June 13, 2011 at 5:46 PM , Anonymous Kate from Scratch said...

I love the rich and hearty quality that oats give bread. Without weighing the slices down on a sandwich, or making it taste like cardboard, they seem to add a unique depth and (of course) such rich nutrition. So perfect. So lovely.

 
At June 13, 2011 at 5:56 PM , Blogger To the Nth said...

Yum! I gave this recipe a spin earlier today (and blogged about it here), and I was not disappointed. I don't think my neighbors, to whom I gave the second loaf, will be disappointed, either. :-)

 
At June 13, 2011 at 6:25 PM , Blogger Cassie | Bake Your Day said...

Looks awesome Erin, so very beautiful!

 
At June 13, 2011 at 6:57 PM , Blogger Cooking Rookie said...

This bread looks gorgeous! I should try this one. So far I've only used oats in my apple bread, but there are too many other flavors there. I am now curious to isolate the oats and see what an oat bread tastes like :-)

 
At June 13, 2011 at 7:17 PM , Anonymous Liren said...

I can hardly believe that this is no knead! Sounds like a must try for me - it looks gorgeous!

 
At June 13, 2011 at 8:47 PM , Anonymous kitchenarian said...

Great job on the bread.I don't like the kneading part either. This sounds like a recipe that I must try. Thanks for sharing.

 
At June 13, 2011 at 9:35 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, this has my name all over it. I don't mind the kneading, but I can't stand the flour all over the kitchen and the time-consumingness of it all. I can't wait to give this a try.

 
At June 13, 2011 at 9:38 PM , Anonymous Anne said...

OMG! This bread is gorgeous! I wouldn't want to eat it! I'd just want to hold it while it's warm and smell it all day! : ) I am more than impressed! : )

 
At June 13, 2011 at 10:53 PM , Anonymous Monet said...

Delicious! There is nothing better than freshly baked bread. Thank you for sharing such an inspiring recipe. I want to get into my kitchen now and bake. I hope you are having a beautiful and bountiful Monday!

 
At June 13, 2011 at 11:09 PM , Anonymous Kate@Diethood said...

Fresh bread is the bestest!! I love the smell, the taste, the texture... mmmm! I need to go make this loaf real soon. :)

 
At June 14, 2011 at 5:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

YUM!
I'm in love! this looks so good! I have to try it real real soon..
lovely picture by the way :)

 
At June 14, 2011 at 5:35 AM , Blogger PFx said...

Oh My GOD! I just saw this recipe in my book last night and I was just wondering how it would turn out. Just exactly and perfectly how I imagine it... minus the killer aroma :(

 
At June 14, 2011 at 6:19 AM , Blogger Holly Henry said...

This looks so awesome! Bet it would make a mean sandwich :) Love it Erin !

Holly

 
At June 14, 2011 at 7:56 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

No knead bread just sounds too good not to try! It's interesting that you added the flour to the liquid rather than the other way round, maybe that's why it looked so fluffy. Definitely will try making this.

 
At June 14, 2011 at 11:57 AM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, I've been looking for a honey oat recipe to try, too...we must be on the same wavelength with our baking lists! Yours looks wonderful~

 
At June 14, 2011 at 1:53 PM , Blogger Vicki Wilde said...

As strange as it sounds, I've never made a no knead yeasted bread! This looks so good and I love honey wheat! Must try!

 
At June 16, 2011 at 3:48 PM , Blogger briarrose said...

Beautiful bread. Honey and oats are such a tasty combination.

 
At June 17, 2011 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Rosita Vargas said...

Fantastic and beautiful bread,the looks so profesionaly made,picture looks adorable,,love your recipes,hugs,hugs.

 
At June 18, 2011 at 3:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This bread looks so simple & lovely. I definitely need to try out this recipe!

 
At June 19, 2011 at 12:01 PM , Anonymous kita said...

I saved this recipe before reading - but no kneading! Extra bonus points!! I can't wait to try it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home