This Page

has been moved to new address

Homemade Milky Ways

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts: Homemade Milky Ways

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Homemade Milky Ways



Milky Way’s are one of my all time favorite candy bars.  Since I have started blogging I have seen people making all sorts of candy and crackers and other stuff I never would have thought you could do at home.  So when I was trying to come up with something to give my son’s teacher at the end of the year, I figured I would give these a shot!  I had already made Peanut Butter Cups, why couldn’t I tackle these!

They were really pretty easy, aside from the dipping part.  Dipping is easy, just very tedious, and never looks as good as I want it to.  But these did taste very good.  You do have to be careful when melting the caramel.  If you go for a few seconds too long you get very chewy caramel.  I would know, that is exactly what I did.  Sorry Mrs. E!!!  I would have started over, but I was out of caramels, and didn’t have time to go to the store to get more.  They still tasted really good, just chewy! 

Milky Way

1 bag milk chocolate chips
3 Tbls Evaporated Milk
1 container Marshmallow Fluff
1 (14 oz) bag of caramels, unwrapped
3 Tbls Evaporated Milk
Milk Chocolate for Dipping (about a pound)

Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl.  Microwave for about 45 seconds.  Stir to completely melt all the chocolate.  If you need to microwave further, do for very short periods – you do not want the chocolate the burn.  Stir in the marshmallow fluff and the evaporated milk.  


Pour this into an 8x8 pan that is lined with foil, and sprayed with non-stick spray.   Place this in the fridge to harden while you work on the next step.  


Put the caramels and the rest of the milk in a bowl, and microwave until they are melted.  Start with 45 seconds, and then stir.  If needed heat for longer, checking every 15 seconds.  Once nice and smooth, pour over the chocolate mixture.  Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.  


Once firm, remove from the pan and cut into desired size.  Melt the chocolate over a double boiler, and get to dipping!  I set it on a baking sheet, and then placed it in the fridge to harden.  


My son had one when the chocolate was still a little melty, and he said they were one of the best things ever!  My husband took the leftovers to work, and they got rave reviews as well.  I will be making these again for sure, but next time I will keep a better eye on my caramel melting!




Labels: , , , , ,

30 Comments:

At June 16, 2011 at 4:12 AM , Anonymous Tnna@flourtrader said...

Due to the weather here, candy making and giving time is a very small window. However, I have printed this recipe for Christmas time-I am sure it will be a hit as it will with the teacher. Thanks for sharing.

 
At June 16, 2011 at 4:42 AM , Anonymous purabi naha said...

These look delicious! i am not much into candy bar-making, but since I am highly sweet-toothed, I am getting tempted to try this now!

 
At June 16, 2011 at 5:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg these look just like milky ways!!!!! that's incredible!

 
At June 16, 2011 at 5:04 AM , Blogger Apron Appeal said...

ha! I know all about chewy caramels. :) I do that too often. I love caramel so do my kids, it doesn't get along well with their dental work though...maybe I just need to practice more so that I don't make it chewy...that is the norm around here...and then somebody's crown pops off. :o

 
At June 16, 2011 at 5:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These look irresistable - chewy or not! Lovely presentation and photos too.
Mary

 
At June 16, 2011 at 5:53 AM , Anonymous the constant hunger said...

It would be very dangerous if I made these. I would eat them all in one sitting. But it would be sooo worth it.

 
At June 16, 2011 at 6:16 AM , Anonymous claudia lamascolo said...

My fav candy bar homemade? This is brillant they look fantastic! WELL DONE~

 
At June 16, 2011 at 8:46 AM , Blogger PFx said...

I used be fat back in the days... or as I called it, "dancing in the milky way" ;)

 
At June 16, 2011 at 11:31 AM , Blogger Cooking Rookie said...

What a nice recipe. I love Milky way and never thought I could make it at home :-). Added marshmallow and evaporated milk to my shopping list :-)

 
At June 16, 2011 at 1:22 PM , Blogger Beth said...

What a great treat! Your son's teacher must be thrilled.

 
At June 16, 2011 at 2:42 PM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Erin, what a fabulous teacher gift! My family would be thrilled with these...I love the thick caramel layer...mmmmmm.

 
At June 16, 2011 at 3:07 PM , Blogger Audra said...

This is such a great idea! They look delish and I am sure that is one happy teacher. Beautiful post!

 
At June 16, 2011 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Chef Dennis Littley said...

wow.those do look delicious, what a perfect treat for the family, and I bet they were a lot better than store bought!
Keep the candy coming!
Dennis

 
At June 16, 2011 at 5:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's pretty cool!

 
At June 16, 2011 at 5:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

yummm!! this makes me wish i was still a teacher so i could get goodies at the end of the year. btw, i'm totally with you on chocolate dipping - i made homemade twix bars and thought they would be simple. they were... until I had to dip them. ugh. so kudos to you on these milky ways! =)

 
At June 16, 2011 at 6:55 PM , Anonymous Kimby said...

Hi, Erin! Very enjoyable blog -- the Milky Way mini's had nothing to do with the preceding opinion... :)

I'm here from basilmomma's blog hop -- nice to meet you!
~ Kim (aka okielicious)

 
At June 16, 2011 at 6:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Milky Ways are one of my favorite candies. I'm not a chocolate fan, but when it's a vehicle for caramel, I can make an exception. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the caramel (though I don't mind it chewy either!).

 
At June 16, 2011 at 9:50 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Oh my heck! Fantastic job!!! These are my son's favorite too. Now I'll have to make them for him! He'll be so impressed =o)

 
At June 17, 2011 at 8:27 AM , Anonymous Kate@Diethood said...

Oooooh... yummo! I, too, love milky ways, but I've never made them! They look awesome!

 
At June 17, 2011 at 8:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - those look divine! I love making homemade chocoates.

 
At June 17, 2011 at 3:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew you could make these at home!
You are a genious!

 
At June 17, 2011 at 8:15 PM , Anonymous Tiffany said...

How cool! And you make this look totally doable!

 
At June 17, 2011 at 8:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh how fun!! I will definetly be saving this for halloween this year. You could of course add nuts, and make snickers!

 
At June 18, 2011 at 7:24 AM , Anonymous kitchenarian said...

These look amazing - I love Milky Way bars! I love eating them frozen in the summer. I think I am going to have to try these soon.

 
At June 18, 2011 at 7:24 PM , Anonymous Anne said...

Erin! These look incredible! Are you opening a candy shop? If you are....I'll take a box of....ummm.....oh just mix them up for me! : )

 
At June 20, 2011 at 12:46 PM , Anonymous apaler1 said...

These look delicious and sound so simple to make!

 
At June 20, 2011 at 8:24 PM , Anonymous kita said...

That does sound like a great little snack. I hate dipping too - I never make it look like the picture. I love a milky way bar from time to time. :D

 
At June 27, 2011 at 9:30 AM , Blogger SnoWhite said...

I can't even tell you how excited I am about this recipe! I have an allergy to nuts, so candy bars are off limits to me. I haven't had a milky way in... 15+ years! These are going on my to-try list this Friday, 7/1. Thanks :)

 
At June 27, 2011 at 9:07 PM , Anonymous Chelsea said...

Oh man! These would be dangerous to have around but fun to make. Saving this one!

 
At July 1, 2011 at 10:07 AM , Blogger Sashquatch said...

How did i miss this one!!! Ive never seen a home-made version of milky ways, making them at home would be a very dangerous ability for me to possess (for my waistline..the rest of me would be elated of course!) wonderful recipe, thank you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home