This Page

has been moved to new address

Grown-up Nuggets

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts: Grown-up Nuggets

Friday, April 29, 2011

Grown-up Nuggets


 I may very well have the pickiest eater on the planet as a son.  He was so much better as a baby, but once he got old enough to have an opinion, things just went down hill.  For a long time the only meat he would eat was processed meat (chicken nuggets, hot dogs, sausage).  Yes, I know how bad this is, but what can you do?  Let your child starve!  In the last year he has gotten MUCH better with meat, not veggies or anything else, but meat.  I will take it....baby steps, right?

I receive daily emails from Cooking Light (among many others) with recipe ideas.  Well one day I got one for oatmeal crusted chicken nuggets.  My son was next to me as I was checking my email.  He thought they looked good, and wanted to make them.  Immediately I hit print.  I didn't care anything about the recipe, he wanted to try it, we were trying it!  It was REALLY bland, and not that great, but he claimed to have liked it.  Really, I think he thought dipping the chicken was fun, and just wanted to do it again.  So I came up with a whole different "breading" recipe, and they are much tastier! 


Chicken Nuggets
Printable recipe

1 pound boneless skinless chicken (can be tenderloins, cutlets, breasts whatever - just cut to desired size)
1/2 cup  breadcrumbs
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup flour
1 egg white
1 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
1 Tbls Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

 

You start by setting up your "breading" station.  1 bowl with flour, 1 bowl with an egg white beaten until frothy with some water, and 1 bowl with both of the breadcrumbs and the seasonings mixed together.



I like to put foil down on a baking tray for easier clean up.  Then I put a cooling rack on top of that that is sprayed with non-stick spray.  That way air goes all around the chicken, and it gets crispier.  Once everything is set up, you can start dipping.  This is where my son likes to help.  I have a few little tongs that I bought at a restaurant supply store for cheap, and they are just the right size for little hands.  Dip in the flour first, just to coat it.  You don't want a lot, so dust off the excess.  Then the egg white, and finally into the breadcrumbs.  Make sure it is covered well with breadcrumbs, this is your flavor!  Place on the tray.



Once everything is breaded spray them well with non-stick cooking spray.  Bake at 425 for 10-15 minutes.  The baking time really depends on how big your chicken is.  The smaller you cut it the shorter it takes, obviously.  Serve them up with your favorite dip!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At April 29, 2011 at 3:10 PM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Another blogger from Iowa! I grew up in Ames :)

My family would love these...I do a version with crushed croutons and Parm, but think Panko would be wonderful! I'm your newest follower~thanks for finding me~

 
At April 29, 2011 at 3:39 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Croutons would be really good - thanks for the idea! I had to update the recipe, I did put Parm in there....forgot when I was typing. Opps!
Not many Iowa bloggers out there!

 
At April 30, 2011 at 4:30 AM , Blogger Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

I've got a 2.1/2 yo (Oliver) who can also be a fussy little monkey.

Oliver would eat broccoli until he turned green. These along with cheese and fish figers are his main staple diet. He adores cake. Other than that - he's VERY picky. He's not even fussed on chocolate or icecream or any other unhealthy thing.

Like you I end up tearing my hair out trying to get him to eat. Homemade nuggets are a good one - we do those quite a bit and the same thing with fish. Homemade meatballs are usually a sneaky way of getting him to eat meat too.

I keep cold cooked chipolata sausages in the fridge so I can pop one in his hand and often he'll eat it without realising ;-)

It's great to be able to make something like this that means the kids are involved with cooking dinner and they're tasty for adults too !

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home