This Page

has been moved to new address

Banana Cream Pie with That Skinny Chick Can Bake

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts: Banana Cream Pie with That Skinny Chick Can Bake

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Banana Cream Pie with That Skinny Chick Can Bake


We made it to Colorado!  It was so nice to know that the long drive was just one way this time. Unfortunately our stuff did not arrive as planned.  The driver who was going to drive the truck out "is no longer with the company".  So now, today is the day everything should arrive.  Not sure how much longer I can live without furniture, and almost no kitchen supplies. 

Today I am bringing you another great blogger!  Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake was one of the first people I met when I started blogging.  She makes the most amazing desserts, but then also is an excellent cook.  I have made numerous recipes of hers, and they are always delicious!

So....I give you Liz



I was delighted when Erin asked me to guest post for her this week.  I met sweet Erin when she was just a fledgling blogger...but she didn't seem like a newbie to me back then. Her talent was obvious from day one.  So I wanted to make a special dessert to be featured...and one of my hubby's favorite pies came to mind...banana cream.

I turned to a Cook's Illustrated recipe for inspiration.  That magazine rarely steers me wrong.  Their vanilla custard is just incredible...in fact, I spent so much time scraping samples from the bottom of the saucepan, that I hardly wanted dinner.  Sliced bananas are sandwich between two layers of the creamy custard, then the pie is topped with a cloud of sweetened whipped cream. Hubby, Bill, took one bite and declared it amazing. I think you will agree.

Erin, I hope you're getting settled in your new home, and I know we're all looking forward to the fabulous dishes you will be cooking up in your new kitchen.



Banana Cream Pie...adapted from The Best Recipe

1 baked and cooled pastry shell (I used Martha Stewart's Páte Brisée)

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
5 egg yolks, beaten slightly
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup cream
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon cognac
1 teaspoon vanilla

2 bananas, peeled and sliced just before placing over filling.

1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whisk together sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan.  Add yolks and whisk to combine.  Slowly add milk and cream, whisking till combined.  Add vanilla bean and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly till mixture starts to thicken and simmer.  Cook for an additional minute, then remove from heat.  Whisk in butter, cognac and vanilla.  Remove vanilla bean.

Cover top of filling with plastic wrap and allow to cool for about 30 minutes.  When cooled to warm, spread about half the filling into the pie shell.  Top with sliced bananas, and spread the remaining filling over the bananas.  Cover filling with plastic wrap and chill at least 3 hours.

To finish, beat cream with sugar and vanilla till soft peaks form.  Beat slightly longer to almost stiff peaks.  Spread over filling and garnish with banana slices before serving if desired.

Labels: , , , ,

24 Comments:

At November 16, 2011 at 5:10 AM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Ugh, Erin, I'm so sorry about your moving truck! But I'm glad your things will finally arrive today. I'm sure this was an "adventure" you could have done without :)

Thanks again for letting me guest blog for you (and for the sweet introduction). xoxo

 
At November 16, 2011 at 6:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looove banana cream pie! This is a really great recipe. Love it!

 
At November 16, 2011 at 6:40 AM , Anonymous Alida said...

Glad you made it safe and sound, but what a bummer about your mover. At least you're there, and everything will arrive today...all will be good!

Great choice for a guest blogger - Liz is awesome! And this pie looks to die for...love love love banana cream pie!

 
At November 16, 2011 at 9:07 AM , Anonymous Kate @ Kate from Scratch said...

This looks magnificent! What a great pair of bloggers. I really needed a banana cream pie recipe too, so thank you! :) Have a Happy Thanksgiving. So happy you made it to your new home. (p.s. Saved and buzzed! Yummy!)

 
At November 16, 2011 at 9:30 AM , Blogger Sprigs of Rosemary said...

Good thing there's always Plan B, Erin! Now comes the fun un-packing part! It's a great looking pie -- although I'm really just a banana fan in its au naturel state, I just might go for it, considering it's from Lizzy!

 
At November 16, 2011 at 10:51 AM , Anonymous Pretend Chef said...

I love Liz's blog and am a FOLLOWER. Great guest post. This pie looks amazing. Makes me miss my mama's since it was a childhood favorite. Happy to hear you made it safely to your new home.

 
At November 16, 2011 at 12:54 PM , Blogger Emily said...

Great recipe! I love cream pies but never seem to get inspired to make them at home. Got to give it to Cooks Illustrated. They make the best recipes!

 
At November 16, 2011 at 2:06 PM , Anonymous Kristy @ Eat Play Love said...

Glad you made it to CO safely! I hope your stuff does soon as well too. This pie looks delicious!!! Great choice Liz!

 
At November 16, 2011 at 3:10 PM , Blogger Cassie | Bake Your Day said...

Yum! I love bananas, what a fun dessert. Great post!

 
At November 16, 2011 at 3:59 PM , Anonymous Cucina49 said...

The pie looks delish...I hope your things show up soon!

 
At November 16, 2011 at 4:00 PM , Anonymous BigFatBaker said...

This looks great! Liz is fabulous and always makes such beautiful desserts. This pie is no exception of course!

 
At November 16, 2011 at 4:05 PM , Anonymous Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

Wonderful guest post from Lizzy! I love banana cream pie. We make it every Thanksgiving because it's my stepdad's favorite pie. After seeing this, I can't wait until I get to have some next week!

 
At November 16, 2011 at 5:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great guest post Liz! I LOVE banana cream pie, it looks absolutely delish! Congratulations on settling in to your new home Erin! I will be going through the same soon, moving into my new place next month too. Have a good one guys! =]

 
At November 16, 2011 at 5:52 PM , Anonymous Mikaela Cowles said...

Congrats on making it to Colorado. The longest I lived without furniture was three days. I was moving off campus and into an apartment. I don't think sleeping on the floor is something I will ever choose to do.

And Liz - What a fantastic looking pie! Here's a dish which will quickly make you not so skinny. But, I think it's well worth it!

 
At November 16, 2011 at 7:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a stunning pie! Lizzy that was a great guest post and I'm thrilled Erin asked you! Erin, I agree with Liz - you're a terrific blogger. Good luck with the furniture arrival!

 
At November 16, 2011 at 10:24 PM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

Erin- Glad the move went well aside from the moving truck. Can't wait to see pics.
Lizzy- Okay so I adore you even more now. We really need to get that paperwork rolling for the adoption. My tummy is grumbling.

 
At November 16, 2011 at 11:32 PM , Blogger Lindselicious said...

Awesome guest post! I love love banana cream pie. Mmm I am totally craving this now. =)

 
At November 17, 2011 at 12:23 AM , Blogger Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Erin, I hope everything is safely arrived and you started to unpack. I am sure you are super busy but I hope you don't overwork yourself. Thanks for the great guest post today - Lizzy, your banana cream pie looks super yummy!

 
At November 17, 2011 at 8:43 AM , Anonymous kita said...

Oh man! If I had known I was being followed up by Liz I would have ran away in fear from guest posting! ;) She is the queen of amazing desserts and there is nothing I could make to come close. This banana cream pie sounds delicious and looks perfect (as always!)
Erin! I hope all is going well as you settle in.

 
At November 17, 2011 at 3:11 PM , Anonymous claire @ the realistic nutritionist said...

I love Liz, Liz is like my dream idol. this pie looks INCREDIBLE.

 
At November 17, 2011 at 6:15 PM , Blogger Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

Awesome pie - one of my faves! :) Enjoy your new home!

 
At November 17, 2011 at 8:50 PM , Anonymous Baking Serendipity said...

This pie looks fantastic, Liz! I can absolutely see how it would become one of your husband's favorites :) When I moved from Ohio to Arizona we shipped almost everything in a "POD" and it came two weeks after us. It felt like Christmas when everything finally arrived! Best of luck with the move and settling in, Erin :)

 
At November 19, 2011 at 7:25 PM , Anonymous Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} said...

Hi Erin,
Hope you're enjoying your new home and furniture made it there soon after your arrival.
The pie Liz shared is gorgeous, I'd love a bis slice of it!

 
At November 20, 2011 at 12:10 PM , Blogger Sandra said...

I adore Liz and her desserts are "the bomb"
This one is one my favorite pies in the world, all I need is a spoon!
Awesome guest post ladies, wishing you calm and stress free Thanksgiving!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home