This Page

has been moved to new address

Baguette

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts: Baguette

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Baguette


Fall is here, and I think fresh baked bread is in order.  Really, fresh bread is good all year round, but something about fall makes it the perfect comfort food in my opinion.  One of my favorite breads of all time is a Baguette.  When I was 17 I had the opportunity to go to France with my school.  We spent 1 week as a class with a tour guide traveling around the northern part of the country.  Then the second week we each went to live with a family.  When we weren’t with our host family, we would be on our own for lunch.  My best friend Cosy and I pretty much lived on bread during that week. We would go to the nearest Boulangerie (bakery), pick up a Baguette or a Croissant, a Diet Coke and a Kit Kat (don’t ask me why), and find a bench or park to eat our lunch at.  We were in pure heaven! 

Lately you can get a fairly good and affordable artisan bread at your local grocery store.  They have the Take and Bake ones that I really like.  The Baguettes are not what I remember though.  So when I saw a recipe for Baguettes in the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, I knew I had to try it.  It was good, I did really like it … BUT this was not a Baguette by French standards.  Now, I am not a master when it comes to bread, so I could be to blame for this. I would make this bread again in a heartbeat, I would just think of it as more of a traditional Italian Bread.  I have seen other recipes that take multiple days to do.  I will have to give in and try that sometime.  Until then, bon appétit!

Baguette

1 pound Boule Dough (Recipe Below)
Whole Wheat Four

Boule Dough – makes 4 1-pound loaves
3 cups lukewarm water
1 ½ Tbls yeast (2 packets)
1 ½ Tbls kosher salt
6 ½ cups all purpose flour

The water should be about 100 degrees.  Add yeast and salt to water in a 5 qt bowl (I used electric mixer bowl).  Mix in flour – no kneading.  You can use your electric mixer or a wooden spoon.  Cover  and let rise and begin to collapse (about 2 hours).  Cover with plastic wrap and store in fridge for up to 14 days. 

Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with the baking stone placed in the middle. 

Dust the surface of the refrigerated dough with flour.  Cut off a 1-pound piece.  Dust the piece with more flour and stretch the dough around to the bottom of itself to form a ball.  Then stretch and elongate the dough.  Dust with more flour, if needed.  Form into a 2 in diameter loaf.  Place the loaf on a pizza peel (or cookie sheet or cutting board) coated in whole wheat flour.  Rest for 20 minutes.

Using a pastry brush, brush the dough with water.  Slash the loaf with diagonal cuts.  Use a serrated knife.  

Slide the loaf onto the hot stone.  Place a pan with 1 cup of water below the baking stone.  Bake for about 25 minutes, or until brown and firm to the touch. 

Allow to cool in a wire rack before cutting.

32 Comments:

At October 12, 2011 at 6:54 AM , Blogger Shaheen said...

You seen a dab hand (ggod) at making bread, I have not yet succeeded in making it at home, relying very heavily on my breadmaker instead. You blog post encourages me.

 
At October 12, 2011 at 7:39 AM , Blogger Maria said...

I love fresh bread!
Enjoy Cooking!

 
At October 12, 2011 at 7:57 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Erin this is one of my favorite bread recipess to keep on hand when I can anticipate a busy couple of weeks. It is nice to have fresh bread even if you don't have time for a whole from-scratch dinner. Yum!

 
At October 12, 2011 at 8:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your story about your time in France. Even if this bread isn't exactly what you remember, it looks great!

 
At October 12, 2011 at 8:44 AM , Anonymous Meagan (A Zesty Bite) said...

I have a huge weakness towards any type of bread. I actually prefer it over dessert. This one looks amazing.

 
At October 12, 2011 at 8:54 AM , Blogger Sandra said...

Very very delicious looking bread, awesome recipe and photos too! I imagine your mornings in Paris especially with school friend..

 
At October 12, 2011 at 9:11 AM , Anonymous kita said...

Ive been bread baking lazy lately - which is sad because nothing tops it. This baguette looks beautiful and once again reminds me to flip open my copy of Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day... someday.

 
At October 12, 2011 at 9:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't "study" this recipe, but does it indicate that the baking only takes 2 minutes?

"Bake for about 2 minutes, or until brown and firm to the touch."

 
At October 12, 2011 at 9:17 AM , Blogger Peggy said...

I love baking my own bread at home! Not only does it make the house smell AMAZING - but the results are always delicious! Your baguette looks great Erin =)

 
At October 12, 2011 at 9:25 AM , Blogger Cassie | Bake Your Day said...

What a great recipe. I would so live on baguette if I spent any time in France. Your trip sounds like it was a great experience. I'll give this one a try!

 
At October 12, 2011 at 9:29 AM , Anonymous Lacy said...

Awesome recipe! I definitely have to try this out, the boyfriend has been asking for bread for a while. Perfect timing! :)

 
At October 12, 2011 at 10:04 AM , Blogger Becka (The Elegant Eggplant) said...

What a gorgeous baguette!

 
At October 12, 2011 at 10:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this! Nothing like a classic baguette.

 
At October 12, 2011 at 12:08 PM , Blogger S.V. said...

The bread looks fantastic. I have been on the fence about buying the book as I suck at making bread but they make it seem so easy and your bread looks fantastic so maybe I just need the book. :)

 
At October 12, 2011 at 12:12 PM , Anonymous Alida said...

What a fun trip in high school. Your bread looks delicious and sounds very doable. I'll work with yeast one of these days...your posts are inspiring me. :)

 
At October 12, 2011 at 12:49 PM , Blogger grubarazzi said...

So pretty. I really want to try making my own homemade bread. My father used to make it every day when I was a kid. I didn't get the baking gene... I'm a cook through and through. Maybe I'll get my hubby to make this (he's the baker in the family).

 
At October 12, 2011 at 12:54 PM , Anonymous Mikaela Cowles said...

How fantastic. This looks like a bread recipe I could make. Normally, my bread doesn't turn out well. It's one of those things I haven't even begun to master. Thank you for the inspiration.

 
At October 12, 2011 at 1:09 PM , Anonymous Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

I've heard that book is really good. I was wondering about the 2 minute cooking time too. Is that a typo?

 
At October 12, 2011 at 1:12 PM , Blogger Erin said...

It was a typo - I corrected it. Sorry!!!!

 
At October 12, 2011 at 1:28 PM , Anonymous kristy said...

I have such a hard time making bread. I'm going to keep at it though - and the baguette and diet coke sounds about like my lunch most days now. LOL. :)

 
At October 12, 2011 at 3:26 PM , Anonymous Cucina49 said...

My baguettes never turn out well, sadly, but yours looks delish!

 
At October 12, 2011 at 3:39 PM , Blogger Kitchen Simmer said...

How cool you got to go to France when you were in school. I went while in college and had the time of my life. I agree... the bread and croissants are fantastic. I think this baguette looks perfect! I have only made bread in a machine... I guess it's time for me to get adventurous! :)

 
At October 12, 2011 at 4:21 PM , Anonymous janet@cupcakestocaviar said...

looks great Erin! One of my favorite treats is a baguette sliced thin and then spread with European butter. Heaven! So I will definitely be trying this.

Also, how blessed you were to be able to spend time in France! Awesome!

 
At October 12, 2011 at 4:57 PM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I could live off bread, I'm afraid, so I can totally relate to your meals in France. Your bread looks fabulous...I really want to get that cookbook...I may cave with my next Amazon order :)

 
At October 12, 2011 at 6:06 PM , Anonymous Baking Serendipity said...

I love any opportunity to live on bread...and to do so in France sounds like a dream come true. Your baguette looks fantastic!

 
At October 12, 2011 at 7:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE baguettes! Your baguette is just lovely! Thanks so much for sharing Erin, I wish I could reach into the screen, butter it up when it's warm and take a big bite! Have a good one! =]

 
At October 12, 2011 at 7:16 PM , Anonymous Kate@Diethood said...

Oh my goodness how I want to pick up that loaf and just bite into it! This is fabuliciousness at its best!

 
At October 12, 2011 at 8:06 PM , Anonymous Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

I need to get this book. I've made one thing from it that I found on the internet and it was so delicious. This baguette is perfection, Erin!

 
At October 12, 2011 at 9:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks lovely! Almost too pretty to eat!

 
At October 12, 2011 at 10:37 PM , Blogger Ryan said...

There is nothing better than homemade bread! This looks fantastic and is just waiting for some butter. Ok, now my mouth is watering! :)

 
At October 13, 2011 at 12:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing the artisan breads they have in Europe...this one looks really tasty....thanks for sharing

 
At October 13, 2011 at 5:19 AM , Anonymous Emily @ Life on Food said...

When I was in France I routinely had bread for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Dinner included cheese so it was a much more balanced meal. I love this idea of just having dough in the fridge. Nothing beats fresh bread!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home