This Page

has been moved to new address

Snickerdoodles and a Cookbook Review

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts: Snickerdoodles and a Cookbook Review

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Snickerdoodles and a Cookbook Review



One of the perks of writing this blog is getting the chance to review new items, and this time I was given the chance to review a new cookbook.  The name of this cook book: The Cookiebedia. How could you not be interested with a name like that!

Author Stacy Adimando is a chef and food writer living in Brooklyn. She is a graduate of the Institute of Culinary Education. Her writing has appeared in Men’s Fitness, Natural Health, and on SeriousEats.com. She is currently deputy lifestyle editor for Every Day with Rachael Ray.


This book showed up, and I was pleasantly surprised.  There were so many good things to pick from!  The book is divided up by type of cookie: Buttery, Chocolately, Fancy, Fruity, Spicy, and Nutty.  At the beginning of each chapter are pictures of all the cookies in that chapter.  There are your classics like Sugar Cookies, Chocolate Chip Cookies and Oatmeal Raisin Cookies.  But there are also ones like Fig Bars, Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, Mint Thins, and Salt and Pepper Cookies. 


In addition to the wonderful pictures that look tasty enough to eat, there is a section after each recipe for you to make notes about the recipe, and different variations to try.   So it is like 3 times the amount of recipes in this little book.  


So what do I make?  Believe it or not, I don't think I have ever even tried a Snickerdoodle.  Not sure how that happened.  My 6 year old loves anything cinnamon, so I knew these would be a huge hit.  These cookies were perfectly sweet, with the spice from the cinnamon.  They were chewy, and I really can't believe I have gone 32 years without them!  This is a great cookbook, I can’t wait to try more of the cookie recipes in here.  You can go here to order your own copy of this book.  And thanks to Quick Books, the publisher, who contacted me about reviewing this book.



Snickerdoodles
Recipe from The Cookiepedia

1 1/3 cups flour
1/2 tsp cream of tarter
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbls sugar
2 Tbls light brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extra

For Rolling:
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp cinnamon

Grease cookies sheets, or line them with parchment paper.  Set aside.  

Sift flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt into a bowl, and set aside. 

Cream butter and both sugars on medium speed for several minutes until it is light and fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla and mix to combine.

Add the flour mixture in two batches, making sure the first half is incorporated before adding the second.  Stop when the second batch is fully combined.

Stir together cinnamon and sugar in a bowl.  Roll 1 inch balls of dough into the micture. Place them on the cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.  Flatten the balls slightly with the palm of your hand.  

Bake for 9 to 10 minutes for a chewy cookie or 12 to 13 minutes fir a crispy cookie.  Cool the sheets on wire racks for a few minutes, then transfer cookies directly onto the racks to let them cool. 


**The book The Cookiepedia was sent to me by Quick Books.  The opinions in this post are fully my own.

37 Comments:

At September 21, 2011 at 5:33 AM , Anonymous E @ Act Fast Chef said...

That cookbook looks awesome! I always think Snickerdoodles are something different. Actually I always have to remind myself that the cookies do not contain snickers!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 8:03 AM , Blogger Deceptively Educational said...

Snickerdoodles remind me of being a kid. I probably haven't had one in 15 years. Thanks to you, I think I'll have to put these deliciously sweet and chewy cookies back in my homemade sweets rotation!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 8:04 AM , Anonymous Alida said...

I don't think I have ever had a snickerdoodle, but you are definitely making me want to change that. Your cookies look fantastic! I love cookbooks, and this looks like a great one to add to the collection.

 
At September 21, 2011 at 8:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These cookies look SO delicious - looks like a great cookbook - my girls are going to thank you for these cookies!!
Mary

 
At September 21, 2011 at 8:26 AM , Anonymous lisaiscooking said...

Snickerdoodles never fail to please. Love the cinnamon flavor. The stack of them looks like a perfect afternoon treat!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 8:32 AM , Anonymous Lolly @ Lolly's Sweet Treats said...

I am so glad you finally got to try the glorious snickerdoodle. It's one of my favorites. The cookbook looks great and so do your cookies!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 8:57 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not a huge cookbook person (only two shelves instead of full bookcases), but a cookie cookbook is one that I would enjoy, especially with a 5 year-old in the house. And, especially one that has an amazing recipe like those cookies. Wow, they look perfect. I HAVE tried snickerdoodles and love them!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 9:10 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe you have never had a snickerdoodle! They are the most popular cookie at our house. This recipe looks so good! I'll have to try it out.

 
At September 21, 2011 at 9:13 AM , Anonymous Pretend Chef said...

I am beyond giddy to give these a try. I have all of the ingredients on hand and I've added this recipe to my must make list. I don't believe I've ever had a Snickerdoodle. I know I'd love these though. What's not to love? Perfect cookie to pack in my son's lunchbox. This is a cookbook I need to look into getting.

 
At September 21, 2011 at 9:14 AM , Anonymous Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie said...

That's so crazy that you have never made/had snickerdoodles before! Yummy yummy. Great looking cookbook too.

 
At September 21, 2011 at 10:09 AM , Anonymous Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

I've always wanted to try making snickerdoodles before, I've never tried them! That cookbook looks like a lot of fun!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Becka (The Elegant Eggplant) said...

That cookbook is adorable!! I need to get it! I have never made snickerdoodles but I LOVE them.. saving this one.

 
At September 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

My youngest loves snickerdoodles! Glad to have a new recipe to try :)

 
At September 21, 2011 at 11:48 AM , Anonymous Lauren at Keep It Sweet said...

I love when cookbooks are full of colorful photos! I love snickerdoodles and am glad you finally got the chance to try them!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 11:53 AM , Blogger Sarah Lienard said...

These look fantastic, yum :)

 
At September 21, 2011 at 12:06 PM , Anonymous Chris and Amy said...

Great review. Those snickerdoodles are definitely on our list!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 12:35 PM , Blogger Kitchen Simmer said...

I love cookbooks!! Those snickerdoodles looks fantastic and I would so buy this book. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

 
At September 21, 2011 at 2:05 PM , Blogger TinaRBK said...

My cookbook collection is way to huge-I need to open a library. Snickerdoodles are such a classic favorite-I am glad you finally tried them.

 
At September 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snickerdoodles are one of my favorite kinds of cookies. These look great!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 3:52 PM , Blogger Cassie | Bake Your Day said...

Thanks for the review, this cookbook looks and sounds fun. And the cookies look delicious, I love snickerdoodles!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 5:29 PM , Anonymous Lindsey@Lindselicious said...

I love love snickerdoodles! Its one of my favorite cookies. =) Congrats on Foodgawker! Woot woot!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 5:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! I love the notes part of the cookbook.

 
At September 21, 2011 at 6:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm older than you, Erin, and I too have never had a snickerdoodle in my life. No wonder my life seems incomplete! LOL. The Cookiepedia sounds and looks really cute though, I might get this book and surround myself with previously untried cookies. Your cinnamon-covered snickerdoodles look pretty good!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 6:15 PM , Anonymous In Katrina's Kitchen said...

Whoa! Looks very yummy! And I love the sprial binding on the cookbook!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 8:06 PM , Blogger Peggy said...

I love the layout of that cookbook! And you sure picked a good recipe to test out - Snickerdoodles are one of my faves =)

 
At September 21, 2011 at 8:09 PM , Anonymous Tiffany said...

These cookies look amazing! And thanks for the review!!!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 8:46 PM , Blogger Candace said...

One of my favorite cookies from my childhood are snickerdoodles. My favorite way to eat them was to sneak some of the raw dough balls before my mom could get them baked. Yum! I loved them after they were baked too but the raw dough was the best. Your cookies look absolutely delicious! I'm glad you got the chance to try them.

 
At September 21, 2011 at 9:15 PM , Anonymous Celia said...

Love that the book is organized by cookie texture! I too overlook snickerdoodles far too often; thanks for reminding me I SO need to make some soon...

 
At September 21, 2011 at 9:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love snickerdoodles and it's our kids favorites...unfortunately, I developed an allergy to cinnamon. What a GREAT cookbook and I'm glad you did such a nice review!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 10:25 PM , Anonymous kristy said...

Ooooh! I love snickerdoodles! Every time I'm near a Mrs. Field's Cookies...I can't resist! Yum!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 11:28 PM , Anonymous Manu said...

I have never eaten a snickerdoodle either, but just by looking at the ingredient list I think I would LOVE them! :-)

 
At September 22, 2011 at 5:15 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

The title of the book & the pic indeed makes me want to have it!
Tq for reviewing this cookbook & share the photos with us erin, hope u will find another great recipe & share it with us :)
Good looking cookies u baking there!
I do loves cinnamon too!!! Buzzed! ;)

 
At September 22, 2011 at 12:20 PM , Anonymous kita said...

Looks like a great book - and these snickerdoodles look great too!

 
At September 23, 2011 at 11:31 PM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

I have still not tried one but am now so curious to make them. Lucky you to review cookbooks. Nice perk. I'm a cookbook junkie.

 
At September 24, 2011 at 11:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a confession to make...I have never made a snickerdoodle before either and I LOVE cinnamon..I have to do something about it ASAP

 
At September 26, 2011 at 8:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a great and classic cookie! Crazy that you hadn't had them before! But hey, better late than never. :) These look fantastic.

 
At September 29, 2011 at 12:00 AM , Anonymous Dream 500s said...

Fantastic recipe! The only thing I changed was I used butter flavored shortening because it was everything I had, but these cookies are so soft and my family loved them. Thank you for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home