This Page

has been moved to new address

Guest Post - Toasted Turkey Sandwich!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts: Guest Post - Toasted Turkey Sandwich!

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Guest Post - Toasted Turkey Sandwich!

I love that while I am on vacation, I can still share great things with you.  Today I want to introduce you to my friend Dee. If you have not checked out her site Deelicious Sweets, you really need to.  Dee and I have the same sense of humor, so I love to read what she writes.  She also makes amazing food!  Just wait to see what she has made for us today!  I mean really, I want to go to her house for lunch, and have her pack my picnics!  So sit back, enjoy, and meet Dee!


I'll admit, I am not a fan of turkey.  Don't get me wrong, I can make a killer turkey at Thanksgiving but I would rather go outside the box and cook up some filet's or salmon anything that isn't turkey.  Alas, my family (mom and dad) is so strictly traditional that anything other than turkey just won't do.  So, when I decided to plan my whole weeks menu around the new issue of Everyday Food and flipped through it only to see that Thursday was this sandwich, I was pretty hesitant if not even a bit disappointed.  But, being the big girl that I am, I put on my big girl pants and trudged ahead and bought the turkey for said sandwich.  I'm an open minded girl, I can sit with the big dogs if need be.  Now, with all that build up, you're wondering if I liked aren't you?  No worries, I won't leave you in suspense much longer.  This recipe also came with a side of cucumber pickles.  I have never pickled anything in my entire life and I was shocked at the ease of this.  I may need to look into a pickling career.  That's odd, right?  Why would I even say that?  Maybe it's the screaming, wailing neighbor child.  I'm being distracted.  Oh, the sandwich!  EXCELLENT!  This will be made again my house.  This was the conversation in my house after this meal was consumed: Hubby - "Where did you get that recipe?"  Me - "Everyday Food magazine but I went my own way a little bit with it."  Hubby (pointing to himself with a big dorky smile - "Well, this guy liked it!" Still makes me LOL a little bit!  Okay, okay, enough chitter chatter, here's the recipe!


Toasted Turkey Sandwich with Quick Cucumber Pickles

Yields 4 servings but I managed to get 8 out of mine - yeah lunch!

For the Sandwich:
1 large round rye bread (about 8 inches in diameter) sliced in half horizontally, insides scooped out
1/3 cup tapenade (I used Culinaria a brand sold at my local Schnucks - Black Olive)
1/2 pound deli turkey, thinly sliced
1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
1 large tomato, thinly sliced
4 ounces provolone, thinly sliced

For the Cucumbers:
2 medium cucumbers, cut lengthwise into thin wedges
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbsp. sugar
coarse salt and ground pepper

For the Sandwich:
Preheat oven to 350.  Cover inside of both bread halves with an even layer of tapenade.  Arrange turkey on bottom half of bread.  Top with zucchini, tomato, and cheese.  Sandwich with top half of bread and wrap tightly in foil.  Place on a baking sheet and bake until bread is toasted and cheese is melted, 25 minutes.

A step by step guide to the Toasted Turkey Sandwich!
For the Cucumbers:
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss cucumbers with vinegar and sugar; season with salt and pepper.  Let sit at room temperature, 20 minutes.

Unwrap sandwich and cut into 4 wedges (or 8) with a serrated knife.  Serve with pickled cucumbers.

Source: Everyday Food

Wondering what to do with all of that leftover bread you scooped out?  I gave it to my kids to fish with.  You could also make breadcrumbs.

A big hug and thanks goes to Erin for allowing me to be a guest blogger!  XOXO

~ Enjoy!

Labels: , , , ,

25 Comments:

At July 6, 2011 at 3:14 AM , Blogger Apron Appeal said...

Oh NO! Rye bread? :( I was super stoked about that huge sandwich and then you said Rye bread. My poor palate is not yet that refined. ;) I'm going to stick those sandwich innards on a sourdough...it looks good and I LOVE turkey!

 
At July 6, 2011 at 7:36 AM , Blogger PFx said...

That's one srious looking rye. SO fat!

I remember when I was a little fat boy going to EPCOT in Disney Orlando. I ordered a BBQed turkey leg in the cafeteria... I didn't know that they serve them by thin carving of meat, I asked for the whole leg. It was the best thing I ever eaten that decade. It look like those drumsticks on flinstone's and everyone surely did look at me... but at 3.50 dollar, that was nothing! I am sure it was a serving for one right?? Hahaha.
I love turkey, rarely cooked them tho..

 
At July 6, 2011 at 11:03 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

@Apron Appeal - Sourdough bread would be fantastic! My hubby hates sourdough so I used Rye :)

 
At July 6, 2011 at 11:06 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

@PFx - It was a big ole honkin sandwich and I could have totally eaten the whole thing!

Great drumstick story! Maybe you're the one who started the whole drumstick at a theme park idea. You should have bottled that idea up and sold it to them! Now you know what to change when you go back in time :)

 
At July 6, 2011 at 11:06 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

@The Slow Roasted Italian - Thank you! It was :)

 
At July 6, 2011 at 12:15 PM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

I`m with Erin, Dee needs to go into the picnic packing business. Or I could just move down the street from her. This was a welcome surprise. I love Erin`s blog and I love Dee`s blog so I get them both in one place today. Very cool! Looks great as always. I love rye but like Dee I am not a huge turkey person. I`d make an exception for this.

 
At July 6, 2011 at 12:39 PM , Blogger Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

This looks so great Dee!!! :)

 
At July 6, 2011 at 1:03 PM , Blogger The Harried Cook said...

Looks fabulous! I think the pickles sound especially great! Lovely guest post :)

 
At July 6, 2011 at 1:18 PM , Blogger Torviewtoronto said...

this looks wonderful lovely post

 
At July 6, 2011 at 5:16 PM , Anonymous Kim - Liv Life said...

Great shots and a wonderful meal!! I'm not really a pickle fan, but these even look tempting to me. My husband could eat sandwiches day and night, this will be a hit!

 
At July 6, 2011 at 5:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE rye bread - and this sandwich is a winner - I could eat it for lunch and dinner :)
Mary

 
At July 6, 2011 at 6:13 PM , Blogger Cassie | Bake Your Day said...

I'm not a fan of turkey either but paired with rye bread it might be a winner. This sounds great!

 
At July 6, 2011 at 6:29 PM , Anonymous Tina @flourtrader said...

This looks like something right from a deli. I seldom take the time to make a lavish sandwich with this many ingredients, but this one looks to be worth the time. Great post.

 
At July 6, 2011 at 6:42 PM , Anonymous Anne said...

Wow! This looks outrageously good and easy! I've never tried pickling anything either. But this seems so simple! What a perfect summertime supper! Good job Dee! : )

 
At July 6, 2011 at 8:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks delicious - great post! I love good pickles with a sandwich and these look great! Thanks!

 
At July 6, 2011 at 10:21 PM , Blogger Sandra said...

Awesome guest post..Dee you did fantastic job, this looks mouthwatering! Erin I hope that you are having fun on your vacation?!:))

 
At July 6, 2011 at 10:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks everyone! It was a super easy sandwich to make and I am already looking forward to the next one. Even though it was turkey :)

 
At July 6, 2011 at 11:44 PM , Blogger Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Wow! I have never seen this huge round rye bread! (I'm pretty sure I'm not paying attention as usual) This is a fun "cake" sandwich! I must try this for playdate - I think it'll be a hit! Thanks Dee for sharing! Erin, you had a great guest here - I love Dee too!

 
At July 7, 2011 at 10:17 AM , Anonymous Kate@Diethood said...

WOW that is a killer sandwich!! In a good way! :) I looove the way you prepared the cucumbers...yummo!

 
At July 7, 2011 at 11:06 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Nami and Kate!

 
At July 7, 2011 at 1:50 PM , Anonymous RavieNomNoms said...

I like everything about this post! That sammich looks awesome! :-)

 
At July 7, 2011 at 7:06 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

Yes please!! I will take one whole half of that! Looks fantastic, and a great summer sandwich!

 
At July 7, 2011 at 7:27 PM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Great guest post, Dee...what a delicious looking sandwich! I'm glad both you and your hubby were pleased with this one. I need to look through my EDF magazines...they have some fabulous ideas!

 
At July 7, 2011 at 8:55 PM , Blogger Jocie's Mom said...

Brilliant sammich. Like a mega-ultra-super turkey sammich. Very well done! Buzzed :)

 
At July 8, 2011 at 12:21 AM , Anonymous Jessica said...

This looks awesome! I love big sandwich rings that you get at the grocery store deli...and this is a great way to do the same thing at home! Yum!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home